EMERYVILLE, Calif., Feb. 23, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Gracenote®, a Nielsen company (NYSE: NLSN), is launching breakthrough entertainment data products developed specifically for next-generation converged media platforms and services. The all-new Gracenote connected databases for Video, Music and Sports enable global entertainment providers and smart device makers to leverage industry-leading Gracenote data and IDs to power advanced voice and text search, intuitive user experiences as well as more personalized media recommendations.
The ways people experience entertainment today are dramatically different than just a few years ago. For example, movies and TV shows are now available from multiple services and watched on many different internet-connected devices. The modern music experience is increasingly about streaming individual tracks and playlists and less about buying albums. Sports fans are now accessing real-time highlights and playing along with fantasy services across various platforms and apps. The next digital entertainment evolution converges all of these experiences together across platforms and services.
Gracenote's new entertainment databases provide the deep descriptive information needed to power cross-media entertainment experiences spanning all devices. With TV schedules for more than 85 countries, live scores and statistics for the world's top sporting events and musical data for practically every song ever recorded, Gracenote's connected databases will fuel tomorrow's breakout consumer entertainment products, including next generation cable and satellite platforms, streaming movie and music services and voice-controlled virtual assistants.
"The lines that once delineated providers of TV, movies, music and other forms of digital media are blurring. When we set out three years ago to create the world's largest entertainment data company, our goal was to deliver a single dataset with persistent IDs to drive entirely new cross-media experiences," said Rich Cusick, chief product officer for Gracenote. "These new metadata products represent the biggest evolution in the history of our business and will help our customers dream up and deliver innovative entertainment experiences and establish new business models – all powered by Gracenote data."
The cornerstone of Gracenote's new entertainment databases are standardized Gracenote IDs that tie together all related media, enabling audiences to easily search for and find favorite shows, discover new songs and set recordings for upcoming programming across platforms, services and formats. Gracenote IDs link musical artists to discographies, actors to TV shows and schedules, episodes to seasons and athletes to live games across linear TV, video on-demand (VOD) and over-the-top (OTT) services.
For example, using Gracenote data and IDs, a search for Beyoncé would deliver results across her music, TV and movie career spanning her latest tracks and collaborations with other artists, her visual album on HBO, "Lemonade," and her movie appearance in "Epic." A search for LeBron James would bring up relevant career statistics, the upcoming Cleveland Cavaliers NBA schedule on TV, recent game highlights, a previous interview on "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" and spotlight his role in the 2015 movie, "Trainwreck."
NEW ENTERTAINMENT DATABASE PRODUCTS
Gracenote Global Video Data
Gracenote Global Video Data brings together TV and movie metadata from more than 85 countries into a normalized structure and single API. It provides a global solution for cable and satellite TV providers, smart device manufacturers and OTT services that seek to expand internationally and require regionally relevant data. The new database offers:
- TV schedules and listings, and deep descriptive information for the world's TV shows and movies on linear TV, on-demand and OTT services.
- Hyper-local delivery of regionally relevant movie and TV show data based on what's currently available in the market.
- Single API access for data covering 85+ countries and territories across North America, South America, Europe, APAC and the Middle East.
- Standardized data structure and IDs to support cross-media linking and advanced features such as voice-search and personalized recommendations.
Gracenote Global Music Data
Gracenote Global Music Data is the global database of record for the music industry. The normalized database is built specifically to support today's playlist and track-based business models. The new database offers:
- The world's largest music database spanning international music genres optimized for streaming catalogues.
- A means for streaming music services, voice-powered virtual assistants and online media companies to better manage searches across a sea of artist releases, collaborations, remixes and live recordings.
- Linking of musical artists and songs across linear TV, VOD catalogs and popular streaming music services, enabling the discovery of new artists and music across cable and satellite TV programs.
Gracenote Global Sports Data
Gracenote Global Sports Data pairs live scores, statistics and rich editorial content with Gracenote TV schedules to drive viewers to tune-in and engage with live sports broadcasts. The breadth of Gracenote's worldwide sports information combined with its deep experience delivering data to cable and satellite TV providers, positions the company as the ideal provider for any customer wanting to deploy an interactive sports experience on TV. The new database offers:
- Tune-In: Live scores to encourage tune-in to live sports events while viewers browse the on-screen guide, as well as live alerts when excitement levels peak.
- Engagement: Rich visuals featuring in-depth statistics, game highlights and player profiles to promote audience engagement and interaction.
- Replay: Real-time sports data to automatically extend DVR recordings as well as enable the creation of highlight reels based on sports event data.
Gracenote, a Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN) company, provides music, video and sports content and technologies to the world's hottest entertainment products and brands. Gracenote is the standard for music and video recognition and is supported by the largest source of entertainment data, featuring descriptions of more than 200 million tracks, TV listings for 85+ countries and statistics from 4,500 sport leagues and competitions. Gracenote is headquartered in Emeryville, Calif. and supports customers around the globe. For more information, visit www.gracenote.com.
Gracenote is a registered trademark of Gracenote, Inc. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gracenote-unveils-breakthrough-entertainment-data-products-spanning-video-music-and-sports-300412392.html