SALISBURY, Md., April 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Education resource hub Great Value Colleges (GVC) published its 2017-2018 ranking of the 30 most affordable colleges with the best study abroad programs in America. The ranking was posted on the organization's website in April.
The top three schools on this college ranking of study abroad programs are the University of Washington (#1), Georgetown University (#2) and West Virginia University (#3).
GVC developed this ranking by starting with a list of 100 accredited colleges and universities collected from various rankings and sources, including U.S. News & World Report's 2015 list of schools with the highest percentage of students studying abroad. The organization then narrowed down the list to the 50 cheapest colleges before ranking the top 30, using a point-based methodology that awarded schools for affordability, study abroad popularity among enrolled students, available college-managed program types, the variety of opportunities offered, the depth and extent of these programs, the abroad trip length, the number of school-funded scholarships for study abroad and additional awards or recognition the school has received for its programs in the past.
"When developing this article's methodology, I had to ask, 'What makes one study abroad program better than others?' said Gabrielle Kratsas, GVC editor and the article's author." After talking to a few students and researching what some of the top schools on this list have to offer, I found that the university is the backbone of every program. It doesn't take much to link up with one of the hundreds of external organizations offering study, intern and volunteer abroad opportunities.
"But it takes a cohesive unit and motivated individuals to create, direct, maintain and build upon international academic and professional excursions, especially while competing against those third-party institutions who already know how to run the best study abroad programs."
The article mentions the disconnect between today's desire for global employees and the unfortunately low 10 percent of students who are actually taking advantage of international experiences before graduating. Fortunately, the numbers have been on the rise, according to the Institute of International Education.
The ranked list of colleges and link to the full article is below:
1. University of Washington in Seattle, WA
2. Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
3. West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV
4. University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR
5. St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN
6. Middlebury College in Middlebury, VT
7. Trinity College in Hartford, CT
8. Connecticut College in New London, CT
9. University of Delaware in Newark, DE
10. Duke University in Durham, NC
11. Juniata College in Huntingdon, PA
12. College of Charleston in Charleston, SC
13. Emory & Henry College in Emory, VA
14. Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH
15. Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, PA
16. Colorado College in Colorado Springs, CO
17. Millsaps College in Jackson, MS
18. Earlham College in Richmond, IN
19. Texas Woman's University in Denton, TX
20. University of Richmond in Richmond, VA
21. University of Evansville in Evansville, IN
22. Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL
23. Lee University in Cleveland, TN
24. Centre College in Danville, KY
25. Guilford College in Greensboro, NC
26. University of Dallas in Irving, TX
27. Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, MI
28. Soka University of America in Aliso Viejo, CA
29. Bates College in Lewiston, ME
30. Goshen College in Goshen, IN
About Great Value Colleges
GVC is a premier website that assists students in finding the best degree, school, career options and resources for a chosen major and profession. From program rankings to degree offerings by state, GVC helps students get the best possible education for their money. The site addresses relevant topics, answers frequently asked questions and offers tips and information related to the entire process.
For more information, contact:
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/great-value-colleges-names-30-affordable-colleges-with-the-best-study-abroad-programs-300441743.html
SOURCE Great Value Colleges