TRENTON, N.J., Jan. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- A bouquet of red, pink and heart shaped balloons are a great way to say "I Love You" this Valentine's Day, but don't let them fly away.
That is one of the tips offered by The Balloon Council as part of the Meet Faraday: Smart Balloon Practices education campaign.
"Balloons help us celebrate special times in our lives and unforgettable moments, which is why so many people give balloons on Valentine's Day. This is the perfect time to raise awareness of the best ways to handle and dispose of balloons," said Lorna O'Hara, Executive Director of The Balloon Council.
If you are giving balloons as a gift, or receiving them, be sure to keep these simple tips in mind:
- Do not release foil balloons into the air – although it is rare, they can become tangled in power lines and turn into roadside litter
- Keep balloons secured with a string and tied to a weight
- If you have a group of helium-filled balloons tie each balloon individually to the weight so they won't detach as a cluster
- Keep deflated or popped latex balloons away from children to avoid risks of choking
- Latex balloons are made of natural rubber latex and are biodegradable, but may cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to natural rubber latex
- When finished with balloons, pop them and properly dispose of them
The Meet Faraday: Smart Balloon Practices campaign empowers the public to take simple steps that will help mitigate issues that could impact the use and enjoyment of balloons across the country.
"Everyone loves balloons. They are bright, colorful and lift our spirits. But, we all need to do our part to and be mindful of these smart practices to ensure that balloons are a part of our celebrations for years to come," said O'Hara.
The Balloon Council encourages the public to share their balloon filled celebration photos by posting on Facebook www.facebook.com/balloonsliftup, and Instagram www.instagram.com/balloonsliftup, using the hashtags: #liftUpSomebody or #BeBalloonSmart.
The Balloon Council is a non-profit organization made up of responsible retailers, distributors, and manufactures that are dedicated to educating others about the wonders of balloons and the proper handling of them. For more information about Smart Balloon Practices visit https://balloonsliftup.com, e-mail [email protected], or call The Balloon Council at (800) 233-8887.
SOURCE The Balloon Council