ESTERO, Fla., Nov. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With the holidays and winter weather season fast approaching, The Hertz Corporation (NYSE: HTZ), and longtime partner, AAA, have teamed up to provide customers with helpful driving tips for safe travel during winter-weather conditions.
"Along with our partners at AAA, our top priority is customer safety, which is why we've come together to give travelers a helpful list of things to remember when driving during snowy, slushy and icy weather," said Dan Flynn, Hertz Senior Vice President, North America Rent a Car Operations. "Since it can be hard to anticipate the conditions you may encounter while driving this winter, particularly in an unfamiliar area, it is always important to be prepared for any hazardous or unexpected weather."
If you're traveling in an area with potentially snowy or icy roads, the following tips may come in handy:
- Watch weather reports for your route and destination in advance – Delay trips when especially bad weather is expected. The newest Hertz NeverLost® GPS and its Companion mobile app include a weather feature so you can determine current conditions at your destination ahead of time.
- Rent a winter weather-friendly vehicle – The Hertz SUV/Minivan/4x4 Collection offers a variety of SUV and 4-wheel-drive vehicles with tires equipped for driving on snowy and icy roads.
- Ensure windshields are properly cleared and cleaned before driving: Your Hertz rental car will have a snow brush and/or ice scraper as well as windshield wiper solution specifically designed for clearing ice and snow.
- Drive slowly – Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads...accelerating, stopping, turning. Give yourself time to maneuver by driving slowly. Also, maintain your speed when ascending a hill rather than accelerating. Speed combined with snow or ice can be very hazardous.
- Do not use cruise control – Without cruise control you can instantly and easily decrease speed by simply lifting your foot off the accelerator. This, in turn, transfers weight to the front tires, giving them more traction.
- Don't get lost in a storm – Make sure you plan your route in advance, especially when inclement weather is expected. With the award-winning Hertz NeverLost® GPS, you can build and manage a custom itinerary on NeverLost.com or via the new NeverLost Companion mobile app before you ever hit the road – so you can keep your eyes on the road.
- Know when to brake and when to steer – When traveling over 25 MPH, AAA recommends steering rather than braking to avoid collision in wintery conditions; however, sometimes that isn't an option. Braking on slippery surfaces requires you to look further ahead, so plan as early as possible and always look 20 to 30 seconds ahead of your vehicle to ensure you have time and space to stop safely.
- Increase following distance – The normal dry pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to 10 seconds.
- If your vehicle skids –
- Do not panic.
- Continue to look and steer in the direction you want the vehicle to go.
- Avoid slamming on the brakes. Although hitting the brakes is a typical response, slamming the brakes will only further upset the vehicle's balance and make it harder to regain control.
- If you become snow-bound, stay with your vehicle – The car provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you. Don't try to walk in a severe storm. It's easy to lose sight of your vehicle in blowing snow and become lost. Make sure you pack extra warm jackets, gloves and hats to have on hand should you become snow-bound.
"Winter car care and driving safety tips can sometimes be forgotten or even unfamiliar to people who don't drive in snowy, icy conditions on a regular basis," commented Dr. William Van Tassel, AAA Manager of Driver Training Programs. "Through our partnership with Hertz, we're not only happy to share member discounts on rentals but also these quick tips for those renting vehicles this holiday season in areas where inclement weather may occur."
Hertz and AAA have been partners for more than 30 years, providing AAA members a special package of savings available when renting from Hertz. Discounts for members are available on daily, weekly, weekend and monthly rates when including your designated AAA Discount Code (CDP#) in your reservation and presenting your membership card or Hertz Member Discount Card (CDP Card) at the time of rental. Benefits include:
- Free use of one child, infant or booster seat
- No charge for additional drivers who are also AAA members and meet standard rental qualifications
- $6.99 per day rental fee for Hertz NeverLost® in-car navigational system
- 10% off Hertz's per-gallon price for prepaid fuel option
- 50% discount off daily fee for SIRIUS Satellite Radio
- Hertz Member Satisfaction Guarantee to provide a vehicle in clean and good mechanical condition *
- Free unlimited mileage on most rentals
*Member Satisfaction Guarantee – Hertz guarantees that the rate and car class, or a higher car class, will be available as reserved, and the vehicle will be clean and in good mechanical condition. Should a problem exist at time of vehicle pick-up, customer should notify the Rental Representative prior to leaving the rental location and it will be corrected. (U.S. & Canada rentals).
The Hertz Corporation operates the Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty and Firefly car rental brands in approximately more than 11,500 corporate and licensee locations throughout 145 countries in North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and New Zealand. Hertz is the largest worldwide airport general use car rental brand with more than 1,400 airport locations in the U.S. and a presence at more than 250 international airports. Product and service initiatives such as Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, NeverLost®, Carfirmations, Mobile Wi-Fi and unique vehicles offered through the Adrenaline, Dream, Family, Fun, Green and Prestige Collections set Hertz apart from the competition. Additionally, Hertz owns the vehicle leasing and fleet management leader Donlen Corporation, operates the Hertz 24/7 hourly car rental business and sells vehicles through its Rent2Buy program. The company also owns Hertz Equipment Rental Corporation (HERC), one of the largest equipment rental businesses with more than 340 locations worldwide offering a diverse line of equipment and tools for rent and sale. HERC primarily serves the construction, industrial, oil, gas, entertainment and government sectors. For more information about Hertz, visit: www.hertz.com.
As North America's largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 54 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.
SOURCE The Hertz Corporation