TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With just more than a week remaining in 2016, Honda is assured of having the #1 and #2 best-selling cars, the #1 SUV and #1 minivan in America with individual car buyers, the company announced today. American Honda, including the Honda and Acura brands, is the fastest growing automaker1 in the U.S. in retail sales, according to data from Automotive News.
Highlights of Honda's projected year-end retail-sales achievements:
- Civic will post the all-time best sales performance in its 44-year history, making Civic America's best-selling car with individual car buyers.
- Accord will post a fourth straight year of retail sales leadership among midsize cars.
- CR-V will post a seventh straight year of sales gains and further cement its position as America's best-selling SUV over the past 21 years.
- Odyssey will be the best-selling minivan with retail buyers for a seventh straight year.
- Civic, CR-V and Accord will be the three highest retail-selling vehicles in the auto industry after full-size pickups and will combine for sales of more than 1 million units for the fifth straight year in 2016.
"We want to thank our customers for the trust they've placed in Honda, which is the basis for everything we do," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "Retail sales are the results of customers voting with their wallets and pocketbooks, and we think that's the only true measure of customer demand and product appeal."
Total Honda Division sales are up 4.5 percent through the end of November to 1,333,253 Honda cars and light trucks, as the brand prepares to post a third straight year of record sales. Honda will continue its momentum into the new year as the strong cadence of new models continues in 2017 with the launch of a redesigned Odyssey; the Si Coupe, Si Sedan and Type R variants of the tenth-generation Civic; and the introduction of the Clarity Battery Electric and Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and more.
Honda offers a full line of reliable, fuel-efficient and fun-to-drive vehicles with advanced safety technologies through approximately 1,000 independent U.S. Honda dealers. The Honda lineup includes the Fit, Civic and Accord passenger cars, along with the HR-V, CR-V and Pilot sport/utility vehicles, Ridgeline pickup truck and the Odyssey minivan.
Honda has been producing automobiles in America for 34 years and currently operates 19 major manufacturing facilities in North America. In 2015, more than 99 percent of all Honda vehicles sold in the U.S. were made in North America, using domestic and globally sourced parts.
1 Automotive News Data Center. Based on CYTD November year-over-year retail sales for top seven automakers.