LA GRANGE, Ill., May 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Impact Architectural Signs (http://www.impactsigns.com/) recently completed installation of a donor wall at Ames Memorial Hall to honor the campaign contributors and organizers who made its restoration possible. The centerpiece of the wall is a series of etched glass panels; surrounding these are individual donor stars made of brushed bronze metal laminate. As a whole, the donor wall complements the aesthetics of historic Ames Hall while adding a modern, understated touch.
Michael Voosen Fields, Architectural Designer at Winter Street Architects, came up with the initial concept for the donor wall, while Impact Signs designer Chad Jordan managed the project, selecting the right mix of materials for which to bring the design vision to life.
"Donor walls are a timeless way to recognize the selfless generosity of those who have given time and money toward improving their communities," said Shabbir Moosabhoy, co-owner of Impact Architectural Signs. "As a one-stop designer and manufacturer, Impact Signs offers not only economical, custom donor walls and plaques, but also the highest possible quality in both materials and crafting."
According to the YMCA, arts education in public schools is currently on life support. Years of budget cuts and shifting priorities have pushed teachers and administrators to all but abandon music, visual arts and drama instruction. Responding to these circumstances, the Salem Y founded the YMCA Theatre Company in 2009. To date, more than 600 children from the North Shore area have participated in the program, which, in keeping with the YMCA's mission, is open to everyone regardless of ability to pay.
The enthusiasm generated by the theatre company convinced organizers that the program needed new facilities. Consequently, the YMCA initiated a campaign to raise funds for a "Creative Arts Center at the Salem Y" to provide modern, functional spaces for all art media. An integral part of this campaign was the restoration of Salem's Ames Memorial Hall. Nancy Harington, former president of Salem State College, and local businessperson David Ives served as fundraising co-chairs and were personally responsible for generating $1.1 million in donations.
Designed in 1896, Ames Memorial Hall was originally a performance venue, hosting plays, concerts, lectures and town hall meetings; President Taft delivered a speech there in 1916. Construction was funded by a $40,000 donation from Colonel George L. Ames, to whom the building was dedicated in 1899. The building was converted to a gymnasium in the 1970s, after which it fell into disrepair. The Salem Y will use the space for art exhibits and theatrical productions.
Newly renovated Ames Hall first opened its doors in early February of this year, hosting an opera performance and a youth arts exhibit. The two-year renovation has been nothing if not ambitious. Not only has the grandeur of the hall been preserved, but a host of modern amenities have been added, including air conditioning, restrooms, an expanded stage and sweeping balcony. New light and sound systems have brought the venue into the 21st century, making it a premier arts and entertainment hall. Elevators have improved handicapped accessibility. At the same time, the renovation team emphasized the historical aspects of the building, from the exquisite marble staircase to the finely detailed plaster molding. Going forward, the Salem Y sees additional opportunities for expansion and modernization provided that necessary funds can be allocated.
The Ames Memorial Hall donor wall is just the latest in a series of unique and memorable projects undertaken by Impact Signs, a Chicago company with a nationwide footprint. Prospective clients who want to learn more about Impact Signs' renowned services, including pricing on custom work, can fill out a Quick Quote form online. The company's in-house designers can work from any concept; once the final design is produced, professional installation is available anywhere in the country.
About Impact Architectural Signs
Impact Signs was founded in 1989 by Ammar and Shabbir Moosabhoy, a father and son team. Today, the company is a leading architectural sign company, specializing in the design, production, and installation of high-quality dimensional letters, custom logo signs, and metal plaques – nationwide.
Impact Architectural Signs
26 E. Burlington Ave.
LaGrange, IL 60525
SOURCE Impact Architectural Signs