HOUSTON, Aug. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Providing the best value for real-time and motor control applications, Piccolo™ microcontrollers from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN), bring 32-bit real-time control to applications typically unable to justify the associated cost, such as household appliances, industrial textile machines and compressors. The C2000™ Piccolo™ TMS320F2802x microcontrollers offer significant integrated analog hardware on chip while enabling increased power efficiency and system protection. With sizes as small as 38 pins, these devices feature architectural advancements and enhanced peripherals, replacing multiple electronic components with one chip and enabling advanced power management in motor control applications.
Increase system protection
Along with a 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), the Piccolo F2802x microcontrollers also integrate analog comparators which help designers seeking to manage power stages and provide system protection in motor control and digital power systems. The internal comparators enable designers to implement seamless shutdown of select pulse-width modulation channels or trigger other events, without the cost of external complicated fault management circuits.
Add power conversion and cost-effective battery charging
Also integrated on the Piccolo F2802x microcontrollers are high-resolution, enhanced pulse width modulators (ePWMs) which provide effective power conversion, along with motor control, using one device. Developers can add cost-effective battery charging via solar or induction to their motor control applications, as well as active power factor correction (PFC) with sufficient performance to implement internal slope compensation with peak current mode control (PCMC) of a secondary DC-DC conversion stage.
Features and benefits of Piccolo F2802x microcontroller systems:
- High-performance and low power, starting at $1.50, 32-bit CPU (TMS320C28x): Static CMOS technology features a 60 MHz (16.67-ns cycle time) and single 3.3V power supply in a 38-pin package, to help integrate motor and real-time digital control.
- High integration of analog: 12-bit ADC, ePWMs, internal comparators, Flash and RAM memory to add system protection; reduce number of electronic components for smaller, faster power electronics and reduced materials cost.
- Tools: Get started developing on the Piccolo F2802x microcontrollers quickly and easily with the new C2000 LaunchPad, as well as C2000 controlCARDs, experimenter and application-specific developer's kits, such as high voltage digital power, LED lighting, solar and motor control. These hardware tools allow developers to experiment with various C2000 microcontrollers to fit their price, performance and peripheral requirements.
- Software ecosystem: C2000 controlSUITE™ software provides free, easy-to-use open source demonstration GUIs, application software examples, Flash APIs, gerber and hardware files and documentation. Graphical programming support is available through Visual Solutions with VisSim Software. Also, each device includes a limited version of TI's Eclipse-based Code Composer Studio v5 integrated development environment.
- Support: Global, hands-on training workshops, online training and 24/7 support through http://www.ti.com/e2e make designing a cinch.
Pricing and availability
The Piccolo F2802x microcontrollers start at around $1.50 in 1k volumes and available in a wide variety of configurations for flexible design. Development tools for the Piccolo F2802x microcontrollers are available and include: C2000 LaunchPad, controlCARD (TMDSCNCD28027) and $79 Experimenter's Kit (TMDSDOCK28027). controlSUITE software is free and can be accessed immediately. Several motor control and digital power development kits are also available now.
Find out more about TI's C2000 solutions by visiting the links below:
- Training on Piccolo microcontrollers: www.ti.com/c2x-f2802x-pr-tr
- C2000 LaunchPad: www.ti.com/c2x-f2802x-pr-lp
- controlSUITE software: www.ti.com/c2x-f2802x-pr-lp3
- TI's microcontroller portfolio: www.ti.com/c2x-f2802x-pr-lp4
- E2E support: http://www.ti.com/e2e
TI's broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M MCUs to real-time control C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™ safety MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
C2000, Piccolo, Code Composer Studio, controlCARD, controlSTICK and controlSUITE are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated