COLUMBUS, Ga., July 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Aflac, the leading provider of voluntary insurance at the work site in the United States, released its 2014 Corporate Citizenship Report. The informative online document, available at Aflac.com, highlights the accomplishments of the company in the area of citizenship, including reports on company innovation, diversity and philanthropy in 2014. According to the report, the $23.9 billion dollar company places a premium on ethics and integrity, which they call the "Aflac Way."
"The Aflac Way, simply put, is our company's philosophy that encourages our employees at every level to do the right thing regardless of whether anyone is watching," Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos said. "From our humble beginnings 60 years ago to today, a Fortune 500 company, we have always maintained that if you do business with fairness, transparency and ethics, customers will reward you with their business – and they have."
Key items in the report include:
- Innovation - Aflac developed One Day PaySM, an innovative claims processing system by which eligible claims filed online through Aflac SmartClaim® before 3:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, along with all the necessary documentation, are paid by the following day.
- Diversity - Aflac's workforce is 67 percent women, 43 percent minority, 33 percent female minorities, with more than 28 percent of all officers being women as well. In 2014, the company promoted two African-American women to the highest offices in their respective fields, President of Aflac U.S. and General Counsel.
- Philanthropy - Aflac is set to achieve its stated goal of exceeding $100 million in contributions to the Aflac Cancer Center by the end of 2015. As of the end of 2014, Aflac had already surpassed $95 million to help fund valuable treatment and research for children's cancer, of which $500,000 each month comes voluntarily from the commission checks of Aflac's independent sales agents.
"We know how important it is to continue to provide the funding needed to research the terrible disease of children's cancer. I am most proud of how our team and how our independent agents have embraced this cause, made it their own, and will hopefully someday be able to proclaim that they helped cure childhood cancer once and for all." Amos said.
The report further illustrates Aflac as a good steward of the environment and a good neighbor in the community. It also shows how being "Green" can help save on business costs. In 2014, Aflac reduced consumption of resources by:
- 1,169,791 pounds (522 tons) of paper.
- 9,534 barrels of oil.
- 4,094,268 gallons of water.
- 35,094 pounds of air pollution.
- 2,398,072 kWh of electricity — enough to power the average home for 82,140 days.
Aflac herein means American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus and American Family Life Assurance Company of New York. This article is for informative purposes only and is not intended to be a solicitation.
When a policyholder gets sick or hurt, Aflac pays cash benefits fast. For nearly six decades, Aflac insurance policies have given policyholders the opportunity to focus on recovery, not financial stress. In the United States, Aflac is the leading provider of voluntary insurance at the work site. Through its trailblazing One Day PaySM initiative, Aflac U.S. can receive, process, approve and disburse payment for eligible claims in one business day. In Japan, Aflac is a leading provider of medical and cancer insurance and insures 1 in 4 households. Aflac individual and group insurance products help provide protection to more than 50 million people worldwide. For nine consecutive years, Aflac has been recognized by Ethisphere magazine as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies. In 2015, Fortune magazine recognized Aflac as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America for the 17th consecutive year. Also, in 2015, Fortune magazine included Aflac on its list of Most Admired Companies for the 14th time, ranking the company No. 1 in innovation for the insurance, life and health category. Aflac Incorporated is a Fortune 500 company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AFL. One Day PaySM is available for most properly documented, individual claims submitted online through Aflac SmartClaim® by 3 PM ET. Aflac SmartClaim® is not available on the following: Short Term Disability (excluding Accident and Sickness Riders), Life, Vision, Dental, Medicare Supplement, Long Term Care/Home Health Care, Aflac Plus Rider and Group policies. Aflac processes most other claims in about four days. Processing time is based on business days after all required documentation needed to render a decision is received & no further validation and / or research is required. To find out more about Aflac and One Day PaySM, visit aflac.com or espanol.aflac.com.
Media contact – Jon Sullivan, 706.763.4813 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Analyst and investor contact – Robin Y. Wilkey, 706.596.3264 or 800.235.2667, FAX: 706.324.6330, or email@example.com