NEWARK, Del., June 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Literacy Association (ILA) will bring together thousands of global literacy community members to learn, engage, and connect at the ILA 2016 Conference & Exhibits from July 8–11 in Boston, Mass. Under the theme "Transforming Lives Through Literacy 2.0," attendees will explore the many ways that new technologies, innovations, and techniques can transform lives through literacy.
"ILA 2016 unites ILA's highly engaged network of literacy professionals and partners to exchange best practices for advancing literacy," remarked Diane Barone, President of the Board of the International Literacy Association, who will open this year's meeting. "The conference is our premier annual convening for professional learning, exchanging of ideas and sharing opportunities."
Attendees will participate in collaborative sessions with some of the brightest minds in the field for an engaging look at the latest literacy topics such as technology and digital literacies, teacher preparation and professional development, and coaching and literacy leadership. Researchers and practitioners will present useful techniques and resources for the classroom, as well as the data and methodology behind them. Acclaimed authors will not only share their work, but also practical, research-tested ideas for incorporating texts into the curriculum.
"ILA's programs have supported and improved literacy practices for tens of thousands of educators around the world," said Marcie Craig Post, Executive Director, International Literacy Association. "Together, the ILA global network can make a difference by bringing learnings from ILA 2016 back to classrooms and schools to take additional steps toward transforming lives through literacy."
Highlights of the ILA 2016 Conference & Exhibits
- Keynote Speakers: Conference-goers will have the opportunity to hear from world renowned speakers including advocate Adora Svitak; 2015 Newbery Medal winner Kwame Alexander; International best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson; Director of Worldwide Education Strategy at Microsoft Corporation, Steven Duggan; and founder of Peruvian Hearts and an ILA 30 Under 30 honoree for 2015, Ana Dodson.
- Literacy Leadership: Teachers, principals, and academics will discuss the importance of developing literacy leadership skills at all levels to cultivate improved literacy practices and outcomes across school, state and national education programs.
- ESSA: Engage with the key stakeholders of the Every Student Succeeds Act in a special session that provides insight into the flexible funding platform and new state responsibilities. This session is specifically designed for Title I officials, school district administrators, and literacy leaders looking for guidance on how to approach ESSA implementation.
- Literacy Research: Get the very latest on literacy research, the backbone of effective literacy instruction.
- Literacy Standards: Hear for the first time about the 2017 ILA Standards for Literacy Professionals, which serve as a guide in the development of university programs for preparing reading/literacy specialists and classrooms around the world.
Professional journalists and education bloggers can register for a complimentary press pass. More details on press registration can be found here.
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION
The International Literacy Association (ILA) is a global advocacy and membership organization dedicated to advancing literacy for all through its network of more than 300,000 literacy educators, researchers and experts across 75 countries. With 60 years of experience in the field, ILA believes in the transformative power of literacy to create more successful societies, healthy communities and prosperous economies. ILA collaborates with partners across the world to develop, gather and disseminate high-quality resources, best practices and cutting-edge research to empower educators, inspire students and inform policymakers. The International Literacy Association publishes several peer-reviewed journals, including The Reading Teacher, Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy and Reading Research Quarterly. For more information, visit literacyworldwide.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/international-literacy-association-convenes-global-literacy-community-at-ila-2016-conference--exhibits-300290882.html
SOURCE International Literacy Association