OAKLAND, Calif., April 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, April 16, the YMCA of the East Bay is encouraging all kids and parents to come to the Y for a play date and commit to being active every day. It's all part of the YMCA's Healthy Kids Day™ – the nation's largest health day for families. The free events will take place at the YMCA of the East Bay branches.
Activities will range from biking on a spin cycle, to basketball games and yoga.
As a leading nonprofit strengthening community through healthy living, the Y holds Healthy Kids Day to teach healthy habits to kids and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity. At a time when one in three children in the United States are overweight or obese (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), developing healthier habits that include increased physical activity is more important than ever.
"We know that parents struggle to find the time to incorporate more active play and healthier habits into their kids' daily routine," says Kathleen Gushoney, Executive Director of the Downtown Oakland Y. "Doing so doesn't have to require extra money or resources. It's as simple as making a play date with your kids, with two key requirements – be active and have fun!"
As part of Healthy Kids Day, the Y encourages families to make play dates everyday as a simple way to become healthier, more active and connected. The YMCA of the East Bay recommends five simple activities families can do to play together:
- Schedule a Game Night: Play games with the kids that incorporate physical activity, such as Charades.
- Dance, Dance: Turn on your favorite party music and dance! Make this activity more fun with a dance contest.
- Go Riding: Find a new bike path or park for a fun afternoon outdoors; grab your helmets and go rollerblading or bike riding.
- Channel Your Inner Youth: Remember playing hopscotch, jump rope, Simon Says or freeze tag as a kid? Teach your favorite childhood game to your kid(s) and play them together.
- Play Outside: Visit your neighborhood park or camp out in your backyard for some outdoor fun. Get everyone moving with fun sports like soccer, basketball or baseball.
Healthy Kids Day will be celebrated at nearly 1,600 Ys across the country, with more than 700,000 families expected to attend this year.
Nationally, Healthy Kids Day is supported by the Dodge brand, PepsiCo and Sam's Club.
For more information, contact Vintage Foster at 925-790-2611 or visit http://www.ymcaeastbay.org/events/healthy-kids-day-2011
About the Y:
The Y is one of the nation's leading nonprofits strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Across the U.S., 2,687 Ys engage 21 million men, women and children – regardless of age, income or background – to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve the nation's health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support neighbors. Anchored in more than 10,000 communities, the Y has the long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change. ymca.net
SOURCE YMCA of the East Bay