ARLINGTON, Va., June 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- June 21, 2015, is the first International Day of Yoga – and a growing number of Americans are likely to celebrate by rolling out their yoga mats. In the U.S. more than 19 million adults currently practice yoga, according to a May 2015 survey by Wakefield Research for Yoga Alliance. And even more hope to join in, with 56 percent of American adults interested in yoga, but not currently practicing it.
"Both men and women are turning to yoga for many reasons--exercise, flexibility, stress relief, spirituality and more. To assist people who seek information about practicing yoga, Yoga Alliance has developed materials to help guide them on their journey," said Yoga Alliance COO Barbara Dobberthien.
Here are new and updated resources offered by Yoga Alliance:
- Index of Yoga Research: Find yoga research on a variety of topics to learn about the many ways yoga can help the body and mind.
- Registered Yoga Teacher Directory: Search Yoga Alliance's directory by city, teacher name or yoga specialty to find a Registered Yoga Teacher in any vicinity or area of interest.
- Registered Yoga School Directory: Find a Registered Yoga School to explore yoga teacher training for all levels, searching by city, keyword or designation.
- Types of Yoga Listing: Learn about the variety of yoga categories represented by Yoga Alliance members.
The Yoga Alliance survey also revealed:
- 63 percent of parents vs. 56 percent of non-parents are interested in doing yoga.
- Among American adults under the age of 45, 63% are interested in doing yoga compared to 49% of those ages 45+.
- Twice as many women as men currently practice yoga. 62 percent of women are interested in doing yoga vs. 48 percent of men.
About Yoga Alliance
Yoga Alliance is the largest international nonprofit association promoting and supporting the diversity and integrity of the teaching of yoga. Currently, more than 60,000 Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT®) and 3,700 Registered Yoga Schools (RYS®) are represented by Yoga Alliance. The organization also educates the public on the value and credibility of voluntary registration with Yoga Alliance Registry and upholds the worldwide growth of yoga through education and community.
SOURCE Yoga Alliance