DENVER, March 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee receives SUV of the Year award from journalist organization at Denver International Auto Show
- Grand Cherokee wins prestigious award for second consecutive year
- Rocky Mountain Automotive Press cite unstoppable off-road ability and impressive on-road performance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee the most awarded SUV ever
- Jeep Grand Cherokee sales up 44 percent in 2012
For the second consecutive year, the Rocky Mountain Automotive Press (RMAP) association has named the Jeep Grand Cherokee – the most awarded SUV ever – its 2012 SUV of the Year. Unstoppable off-road ability and impressive on-road performance were attributes cited by voting journalists.
"The Rocky Mountains represent an extraordinary challenge for any automobile," said RMAP president Nathan Adlen. "Those that surpass our expectations in this difficult environment deserve to be celebrated. We're pleased to recognize the Jeep Grand Cherokee as the best among so many greats."
The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee was selected after evaluation by RMAP members, from a field that included every significant new SUV and crossover for sale in the region that includes Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.
"The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a natural fit for the rough terrain found in Colorado and the entire Rocky Mountain region," said Mike Manley, President and CEO – Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. "Once again the prominent Rocky Mountain automotive journalists have recognized Grand Cherokee's legendary capability, comfort and refinement. We're grateful that consumers and opinion leaders continue to appreciate the premium icon of the Jeep brand."
Rocky Mountain Automotive Press is a Denver-based association of automotive journalists, automaker-communications representatives and other motor-industry professionals. This is the sixth year RMAP has presented its Rocky Mountain Vehicle of the Year awards, which recognize the industry's top cars, pickups, and SUVs.
The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee provides consumers premium on-road performance, while maintaining legendary Jeep four-wheel-drive capability – courtesy of a torque-on-demand two-speed transfer case, a choice of three 4x4 systems, Jeep Selec-Terrain™ system with five terrain settings and a Quadra-Lift™ air suspension system. In addition, Grand Cherokee offers improved fuel economy over 2011 models (up to 23 mpg), a world-class interior cabin, and more than 50 safety and security features.
The 2012 SUV of the Year from the Rocky Mountain Automotive Press is the most recent award in a long list of honors given to 2012 Jeep vehicles. Other recent accolades include:
- Autobytel 2012 SUV of the Year: Jeep® Wrangler
- Overland Journal 2011 SUV of the Year – North America: Jeep Wrangler
- U.S. News & World Report's Best Cars for the Money – Off-Road SUV: Jeep Wrangler
- Cars.com's Play Car of the Year (Off-Roaders and Sun Lovers categories): Jeep Wrangler
- The Fast Lane Car's (TFLCar.com) Top-10 2012 Most Fun to Drive Cars: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
- 2012 Vehix New Car Buying Guide, Convertible Under $40,000 Recommended: Jeep Wrangler
- 2012 Vehix New Car Buying Guide, SUV Under $30,000 Recommended: Jeep Wrangler
- 2012 Vehix New Car Buying Guide, SUV Under $30,000 Recommended: Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Consumer Guide Recommended Buy : Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Polk Automotive Loyalty Award – Most Improved Loyalty to Make: Jeep Brand
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the most-awarded SUV ever. Grand Cherokee delivers premium on-road performance while maintaining the Jeep brand's legendary four-wheel-drive, torque-on-demand two-speed transfer case and towing capability. It offers improved fuel economy (up to 23 miles per gallon), a driving range of more than 550 miles, superb on-road ride and handling, a world-class interior cabin, more than 45 safety and security features, and a variety of advanced technology features.
Contributing to Grand Cherokee's class-leading capability is the combination of Jeep's Quadra-Lift™ air suspension system and the Jeep Selec-Terrain™ traction control system that lets customers choose the 4x4 setting for the optimum driving experience on all terrains.
The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee is available with three 4x4 systems, and with either V-6 or V-8 powertrains.
Built on more than 70 years of legendary heritage, Jeep is the authentic SUV brand with class-leading capability, craftsmanship and versatility for people who seek extraordinary journeys. The Jeep brand delivers an open invitation to live life to the fullest by offering a full line of vehicles that continue to provide owners with a sense of security to handle any journey with confidence.
The Jeep vehicle lineup includes Compass, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Patriot, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. To meet consumer demand around the world, all Jeep models are sold outside North America – and all are available in right-hand drive versions and with gasoline and diesel powertrain options. Chrysler Group LLC sells and services vehicles in approximately 120 countries around the world.
SOURCE Chrysler Group LLC