BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Dec. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- With wintry weather making an early and frigid debut across the nation, Verizon Wireless, owner and operator of the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network, offers the following tips to help consumers use their wireless phones when it's cold outside:
- Keep your phone fully charged. Cold temperatures can run down the phone's battery charge more quickly. Use a car charger to keep the phone's charge if you get stranded or stuck in traffic on icy or snowy roads. Think about an extra battery as backup.
- Handle your phone with care. The display screen can become brittle when exposed to cold temperatures for long periods of time.
- Keep your phone in a warm place; avoid leaving it in an outside pocket or backpack or in the car overnight. When outside in the cold weather, carry your phone in an inside jacket pocket, keeping it close to your body for warmth.
- Remember you can't dial or access the keyboard on a touch screen with gloves, so consider adding finger flip gloves to your winter holiday wish list.
- Download free winter apps to your phone from Android Market™ such as:
- Winter Weather Outlooks – Allows you access to the National Weather Service Winter Weather Outlooks, so you'll know what kind of winter weather is headed your way.
- How Cold Is It? – A wallpaper that changes color depending on the outside temperature – deep red when it's hot and icy white when it's freezing.
- ShoppeHUB – This app allows you to make secure purchases on cold weather gear, including winter clothing.
- Coffee Recipes – Choose from more than 90 easy coffee recipes that will be sure to keep you warm.
Year-Round Network Commitment
Verizon Wireless works year-round to enhance wireless service, increase calling capacity, and add new services nationwide. Since the company was formed, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $60 billion in its nationwide network – $5.7 billion on average every year.
More Information Available
- Follow VZWNetwork on Twitter for ongoing network updates, enhancements and information.
- See video footage of Verizon Wireless' year-round network preparations across the country on YouTube and in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library.
- Find additional information on Verizon Wireless at www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 79,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless