NEW YORK, Jan. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- For decades the focus in skin research has been on the physical barrier. New research now unveils a diverse community of micro-organisms that live on the skin barrier - THE MICROBIOME. Both the physical barrier and the microbiome have their own functions and how they interact with each other is just being discovered. This new research has demonstrated that for healthy skin, it is not enough to maintain the moisture barrier alone. In fact it is also important to consider the microbiome, skin's "invisible barrier." A pioneer in advancing dermatology, La Roche-Posay has dedicated 5 years of research and conducted 13 clinical studies to gain a new understanding on the microbiome, its inter-correlation with the physical barrier and what it could mean for the future of skincare. The brand's key findings in this new field have been presented at major congresses of dermatology around the world – including the World Congress of Dermatology in Vancouver in 2015 – and have been published in influential journals of dermatology.
Skin's microbiome is comprised of over 100 billion bacteria, fungi and microbes that populate the skin, interact with each other and with skin barrier. New understanding of these micro-organisms show that there is no such thing as good and bad bacteria but rather that bacterial diversity is needed for a healthy microbiome. Indeed, we now know that poor bacterial diversity is often associated with a disrupted skin barrier – this can happen when one or more species overpopulates, taking the space of other bacteria.
"Research is showing a connection between the health of your microbiome and the overall health of skin. It's important for us, as dermatologists, to understand the influence it has on skin – inside and out – so we can make the best recommendations when treating patients." says Dr. Hilary Baldwin. "It's a fascinating subject we're learning more about every day."
Research shows that prebiotics are a beneficial food source for bacteria. They work by creating a healthy environment to support a good diverse skin microbiome. Thanks to its unique mineral composition and trace elements, the La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water – found at the heart of the brand's skincare products – contains prebiotic ingredients, while traditional moisturizers contain deionized water.
Inspired by this research, La Roche-Posay is proud to introduce TOLERIANE Double Repair Moisturizer: a new generation of daily skincare. Formulated with the highest concentration of Prebiotic Thermal Spring Water, TOLERIANE Double Repair Moisturizer achieves barrier recovery after just 1 hour* and provides up to 48hr hydration**.
- Immediately restores the feeling of skin comfort
- Significant barrier recovery after 1 hour after simulated barrier disruption by tape stripping
- Up to 48 hours of hydration
- Restores skin's essential lipids, and helps restore skin's natural moisture barrier
- Dermatologist tested to be safe for sensitive skin
- Allergy tested
- Non comedogenic / Oil-free
TOLERIANE Double Repair Moisturizer comes in a full line of products, including an SPF version and two complementary cleansers:
- TOLERIANE Purifying Foaming Cleanser (400ml - 13.5 fl.oz): For normal to oily skin. Effectively cleanses and removes excess oil.
- TOLERIANE Hydrating Gentle Cleanser (400ml – 13.5 fl.oz): For normal to dry skin. Gently cleanses while retaining essential moisture.
- Toleriane Double Repair Moisturizer (75ml – 2.5 fl.oz): Provides up to 48hr hydration.
- Toleriane Double Repair Moisturizer UV – Broad Spectrum SPF30 (75ml – 2.5 fl.oz): Helps protect and provides all day hydration.
- Ceramide-3: One of the most important ceramides for barrier function. It helps reinforce the natural water retention barrier in dry skin by promoting moisturization.
- Niacinamide: A form of vitamin B3 with soothing properties.
- La Roche-Posay Prebiotic Thermal Water: contains prebiotic ingredients thanks to its unique mineral composition and trace elements.
La Roche-Posay TOLERIANE Moisturizers have a suggested retail price of $19.99
TOLERIANE Cleansers have a suggested retail price of $14.99.
They can be purchased at CVS/pharmacy, Walgreens, Target, Ulta, Duane Reade, select physicians' offices and online at www.laroche-posay.us.
*TEWL measurements after tape stripping on 25 women ages 22-65 years old
**Corneometer measurements on 24 women ages 18-65 years old
About LA ROCHE-POSAY
Recommended by more than 25,000 dermatologists worldwide, La Roche-Posay offers a unique range of daily skincare developed with dermatologists for every skin type to complement and enhance their patients' treatments and to promote good skincare practices at home every day. Started from Europe's leading center of thermal dermatology, La Roche-Posay develops formulas with its exclusive Selenium-rich water, used at the center since 1905 to treat over 7,500 patients every year for skin disorders thanks to its antioxidant and soothing properties. The products are developed using a strict formulation charter with a minimal number of ingredients and are formulated with ingredients at optimal concentrations. Additionally, La Roche-Posay products undergo stringent clinical testing for efficacy and safety, even on sensitive skin.
For additional information about La Roche-Posay, visit www.laroche-posay.us and follow La Roche-Posay USA on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @LaRochePosayUSA
SOURCE La Roche-Posay