ATLANTA, Dec. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- As Georgia celebrates the holiday season, Georgia Power reminds customers to keep energy efficiency, and safety, in mind. The company provides hundreds of useful tips online at www.GeorgiaPower.com/save ranging from lighting, to decorating to cooking.
Georgia Power recommends the following safety and energy efficiency tips this holiday:
- Light with LEDs. LED decorations can use more than 50 percent less energy than traditional incandescent decorations and last up to 10 times longer.
- Watch the Wires. Check each set of lights for frayed wires and cracked or broken sockets before use and look for certifications such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), which indicate testing for safety.
- Spread the Load. Don't overload wall sockets or extension cords and follow instructions for connecting light sets end to end. Where possible, utilize different outlets on separate circuits.
- Timing Counts. Use timers to ensure that holiday decorations are only in use when people are at home, or awake, to enjoy them.
- Cook with Care. Avoid preheating the oven, cover pots and pans to keep the heat inside and use a pressure cooker, which can reduce energy use by up to 75 percent versus other cooking methods.
- Keep Warm Safely. Never leave a space heater unattended and ensure they are a safe distance from curtains and other flammable material. Electric blankets should never be used while sleeping or be placed under other items.
For more safety and energy tips throughout December, follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter. The company is also inviting customers to share holiday photos and their own personal tips for safe, efficient decorative lighting using #GAElectricHoliday.
Saving Money Year Round
Georgia Power brings customers the latest in energy efficient products and programs year round, including in-store events with retailers, energy efficiency rebates and incentives and services including a free online energy checkup and in-home energy audits. Georgia Power customers can also use the My Power Usage program, a free service connected to Georgia Power online accounts, to track their day-to-day energy use online, project their monthly bill and stay within a set energy budget by signing up for account notices.
For more information on saving money and energy, visit: www.GeorgiaPower.com/Save.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.4 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Consistently recognized as a leader in customer service, Georgia Power was recently ranked highest in overall business customer satisfaction among large utilities in the South by J.D. Power and Associates. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
SOURCE Georgia Power