BELOIT, Wis., Nov. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- FatWallet.com released their Cyber Monday Survey 2016 (*Survata). The survey reveals less than 20% of holiday shoppers expect to shop for Cyber Monday deals early and more than 80% are more likely to shop starting Monday morning or later. Only 1 in 4 Cyber Monday shoppers admit to shopping for themselves, while nearly half will be looking for holiday gifts and more than 6 in 10 plan to spend the same or more than last year during Cyber Monday sales.
Surprisingly, shoppers get more information about Cyber Monday deals and discounts from Black Friday sites and social media than from retailer sites and other traditional advertising, while almost one third forego research and just go shopping. Similar to FatWallet's Black Friday Survey, clothing is the top item sought on Cyber Monday, followed by toys and electronics. Full results of this year's Cyber Monday Shopping survey include:
When asked, "Which are you most likely to shop for during Cyber Monday?"
- 45% said Shop for holiday gifts
- 24% said Shop for myself
- 21% said Shop for home / family needs (non-gifts)
- 4% said Shop for business (needs)
- 6% said Other
When asked, "How do you get your information on deals and discounts for Cyber Monday?"
- 29% said Black Friday Sites
- 26% said Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc)
- 24% said Retailer web sites
- 18% said Newspaper ads
- 17% said TV ads
- 12% said Mobile Ads
- 6% said News Stories
- 31% said I just go shopping
When asked, "How much do you plan to spend on Cyber Monday, compared to last year?"
- 16% said More than last year
- 45% said Same as last year
- 39% said Less than last year
When asked, "What items will you shop for during Cyber Monday?"
- 45% said Apparel (Clothing, Shoes, Jewelry, other)
- 33% said Toys or Video Games (games, consoles)
- 32% said Consumer Electronics (including Laptops/Computers, Appliances)
- 26% said Books, Movies or Music
- 24% said Home Items (furniture, kitchen, bed and bath, décor, etc.)
- 18% said Mobile Devices (Tablets, Smartphones, Wearables)
- 8% said Other
When asked, "When are you most likely to shop during Cyber Monday sales?"
- 31% said Monday A.M.
- 24% said Monday P.M.
- 18% said Sunday (early Cyber Monday sales)
- 14% said Monday during lunch
- 14% said Cyber Week (after Cyber Monday)
*See FULL RESULTS. Commissioned by FatWallet in November 2016, Survata interviewed 1,000 American adults that said they will shop during Holiday Shopping events in 2016. Additional methodology can be found at survata.com/methodology.
About: FatWallet is a smart resource for millions of online and mobile shoppers to find and share thousands of current coupons and deals from more than 2,000 retailers, like Kohl's, Amazon, Walmart and Ebay. The much-celebrated FatWallet forums represent the pulse of an evolving online and mobile marketplace where the savviest deal hunters in the world gather to share and learn about ways to save money on everyday needs, wants and personal finance decisions.