NEW YORK, Jan. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- ListenFirst, the most comprehensive social analytics solution for the enterprise, today released its Social Year in Review report with key insights into the growth of Instagram and Twitter, the rise in Facebook branded content, how consumers are engaging with social video, what's driving Instagram's takeover, and which industries and brands are coming out on top on social media. ListenFirst's report reveals that while consumers' social engagement grew 13% in 2018 across all social platforms, much of the growth in consumer engagement was driven by Instagram and Twitter. Meanwhile, Facebook's much publicized algorithm change in January 2018 hampered reach and engagement for all brands on the platform.
"2018 was the year of groundbreaking changes in the social universe that introduced new opportunities for brands, including Facebook leveling the playing field with their algorithm change, Twitter leading by example with bot purges, and Instagram focusing more efforts on brands connecting with their audiences through Instagram Stories," says Jason Klein, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, ListenFirst. "The unique insights in this report can help brands refine their 2019 social strategies to ensure they maximize return on investment in this dynamic space."
Key takeaways from the report include:
- Instagram drives consumer responses: Between Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, Instagram accounts for 75% of responses (likes, comments) on brand content, a jump from 65% in 2017
- Facebook traded breadth for depth: Facebook's algorithm change, announced in Jan 2018, saw organic reach drop by 41% between Jan and Dec 2018, but the percentage of engaged users climbed, outperforming the percent of consumers reached by brands
- Facebook video organic reach is down but shares, comments, and lifespan are up: Facebook video declined to 2.61% in organic reach following the algorithm change, but shares and comments are up at +128% and +120%, respectively, as is the lifespan of video engagement
- Instagram stories grew while posts declined: The number of Instagram stories posted by brands spiked by 68x in Q4, while Instagram posts by brands decreased by -6% in Q4 2018 YoY
- Sports, fashion and technology led the way: Worldstar, Turner Digital and ESPN rounded out the Top 3 Media Brands of 2018; Foot Locker, Sephora and Amazon scored the Top 3 U.S. Retail Brands; the Top 3 Consumer Goods in 2018 was led by Samsung, GoPro and Red Bull
To download the report, please visit: https://www.listenfirstmedia.com/2018-social-year-in-review-report.html
ListenFirst is the social analytics solution trusted by the largest companies in the world. With a breadth of analytics and domain expertise unmatched in the market, we provide a streamlined solution for leading brands seeking to unlock the power of social insights in an increasingly fragmented world. Founded in 2012, ListenFirst has been honored with multiple accolades including 2018 and 2019 Stevie Awards for exceptional client service, a 2019 High Performer recognition from G2 Crowd, and named one of Inc. 500's fastest growing companies. ListenFirst clients include major consumer brands including AT&T, NBCUniversal, Condé Nast, Time Warner, and Gap Inc., and is regularly featured in Variety, Ad Age, The New York Times, and more. For additional information, visit www.listenfirstmedia.com.