KANSAS CITY, Mo., Dec. 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This holiday season, Lockton's elves have been busy building the right type of coverage stemming from lessons learned in the timeliness holiday classic, "Home Alone." Due to a counting error, Kevin McCallister made his family disappear. However, even if you take your family on vacation – or close your business down for the holidays – the risk still remains.
The McCallisters were late getting to the airport for their holiday adventure and in the midst of the chaos, son Kevin was left home alone. While his family trekked 4,000 miles away, it started as a dream come true for 8-year-old Kevin. However, he quickly realized he not only wanted his family back, but there were definite risks involved this time of year, especially with protecting his property.
Lockton's newest white paper, "Don't Leave Your Risk Home Alone During the Holidays," highlights several perils that can occur this time of year as businesses close down and as people leave their houses. Fearing what can happen is completely natural. As Old Man Marley advised, "You can be too old for a lot of things, but you're never too old to be afraid." Take comfort this holiday season, knowing that should anything happen to your property or business, the Lockton elves have you covered.
- Looks can be Deceiving: While that friendly neighbor or authority figure appears to just be checking in as you prepare to depart, be careful. Instead, these seemingly trustworthy sources are looking to take advantage of you. Luckily, Social Engineering coverage can thwart these thieves.
- Pizza Delivery Gone Wrong: While looking forward a lovely cheese pizza, just for you, the pizza delivery boy cannot keep his car from crashing into your front statue. If the pizza company has Auto Liability coverage, they would be covered if the company is named in a suit.
- 'Keep the Change, Ya Filthy Animal:' if a robber won't get their ugly, yella, no-good keister off your property, you need to ensure your assets are protected if they are taken. A Theft policy would provide coverage if anyone named "Snakes" made it out with your favorite candle holder or credit card files.
- Calling Cards that Create Damage: While you may be away eating junk and watching rubbish, others are looking to leave their mark on your house. To them, it's a signature calling card, but to you it's a flooded house or building. Vandalism coverage helps protect you from the Wet Bandits or other dim-witted, would-be robbers from leaving a lasting impression.
- Watch Your Step: Whether out to get a toothbrush approved by the American Dental Association, or walking down the back steps to your basement, slips and trips are common this time of year. General Liability coverage can reduce your risk (providing icing the steps is not an intentional act meant to cause harm) by protecting your business from legal liabilities.
A detailed explanation of the coverages and typical limits of covering the McCallisters and your business can be found at: http://bit.ly/locktonhomealone
More than 5,600 professionals at Lockton provide 48,000 clients around the world with risk management, insurance, employee benefits consulting, and retirement services that improve their businesses. From its founding in 1966 in Kansas City, Missouri, Lockton has attracted entrepreneurial professionals who have driven its growth to become the largest privately held, independent insurance broker in the world and 10th largest overall. For seven consecutive years, Business Insurance magazine has recognized Lockton as a "Best Place to Work in Insurance." To see the latest insights from Lockton's experts, check Lockton Market Update.