WASHINGTON, Jan. 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- LUNGevity, the nation's leading lung cancer-focused nonprofit organization, today announced the launch of the LUNGevity Lung Cancer HELPLine, a free phone service through which a team of professional oncology social workers will be available to address the emotional, practical, and information needs of people diagnosed with lung cancer, their families, and caregivers.
This year, more than 240,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer, which means that hundreds of thousands of lung cancer patients, family members, and caregivers will be responsible for navigating a disease that is likely unfamiliar to them. The LUNGevity Lung Cancer HELPLine will serve as a vital resource and source of support for all affected by the disease.
LUNGevity has partnered with CancerCare®, the leading national organization providing free, professional support services and information to help people manage the emotional, practical, and financial challenges of cancer. CancerCare's team of professional oncology social workers are uniquely qualified to address these needs. For nearly 73 years, CancerCare has provided free support services to cancer patients aimed at alleviating distress, helping them to obtain the best possible outcomes from their treatment.
Those seeking assistance can call LUNGevity's new toll-free HELPLine, 844-360-LUNG (5864), from 9:00am – 5:00pm ET, Monday through Friday to:
- Receive immediate access to reliable educational resources and programs
- Get personalized information about lung cancer and treatment options
- Learn effective ways to cope with cancer including managing emotions such as depression, anxiety, or sadness
- Improve communication with their health care team and loved ones
- Get referrals to financial assistance resources for needs including pain medication, homecare, childcare, medical supplies, transportation for treatment, and copayment assistance related to chemotherapy and targeted treatment therapies. (Provided to those who meet CancerCare's eligibility guidelines; subject to funding availability.)
Depression, anxiety, strains on relationships, loss of motivation, and financial burdens are commonly experienced by lung cancer patients and can compromise a patient's ability to complete treatment. LUNGevity developed the Lung Cancer HELPLine to help patients, their caregivers, and families combat these symptoms by offering direct and personalized support for callers across the nation.
"Providing lung cancer patients, their families, and caregivers with the resources and tools they need to address every phase of this disease is a priority," said Andrea Ferris, President and Chairman of LUNGevity Foundation. "Our goal in setting up this HELPLine is to add dimension to these efforts and provide an additional resource to individuals affected by lung cancer to ensure that no one has to navigate this disease alone."
The HELPLine will join a number of other critical resources LUNGevity has created to support the needs of lung cancer patients, their caregivers, and loved ones, including Clinical Trial Finder, LifeLine Support Partners, and the recently launched Lung Cancer Navigator Mobile App. Charitable funding for the HELPLine was generously provided by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Genentech. For more information on LUNGevity, please visit www.LUNGevity.org.
About lung cancer in the U.S.
- About 1 in 15 Americans will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime
- More than 224,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year
- About 60%-65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers
- Lung cancer takes more lives than the next four deadliest cancers (colorectal, pancreatic, breast, and prostate) combined
- Only 18% of all people diagnosed with lung cancer will survive 5 years or more, BUT if it's caught before it spreads, the chance for 5-year survival improves dramatically
About LUNGevity Foundation
LUNGevity Foundation is firmly committed to making an immediate impact on increasing quality of life and survivorship of people with lung cancer by accelerating research into early detection and more effective treatments, as well as by providing community, support, and education for all those affected by the disease. Our vision is a world where no one dies of lung cancer. For more information about LUNGevity Foundation, please visit www.LUNGevity.org.
Founded in 1944, CancerCare is the leading national organization providing free, professional support services and information to help people manage the emotional, practical and financial challenges of cancer. Our comprehensive services include counseling and support groups over the phone, online and in-person, educational workshops, publications and financial and co-payment assistance. All CancerCare services are provided by oncology social workers and world-leading cancer experts. Headquartered in New York, NY, CancerCare maintains three additional locations in Norwalk, CT, Ridgewood, NJ and Syosset, NY. To learn more, visit www.cancercare.org or call 800-813-HOPE (4673).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lungevity-foundation-partners-with-cancercare-to-launch-lung-cancer-helpline-300393437.html
SOURCE LUNGevity Foundation