WALNUT CREEK, Calif., Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Earthquakes and wildfires happen without warning. When they do, it's too late to prepare. That's why Verizon Wireless network teams work year-round to keep the company's network ready, resilient and reliable so customers can use their wireless devices when they need them most.
In the Western United States areas prone to wildfires and earthquakes, these preparations include:
- Earthquake- and wildfire-resilient construction of cell sites and network buildings
- Ongoing brush removal around all cell sites
- A fleet of emergency vehicles including mobile cell sites, signal enhancers and generators that can be deployed if needed
Verizon Wireless routinely provides wireless support to first responders, emergency personnel and customers during wildfires and other natural disasters. The company's ongoing preparations and ability to respond quickly have proved critical in the past at these times.
See For Yourself – New Video Available
A new video, "Making Wireless Reliable In The West," highlights the company's ongoing preparations for natural disasters and includes customer and first responder comments about the importance of wireless communication during an emergency. View the video:
- On Verizon Wireless' YouTube channel at http://bit.ly/gM2WWo
- In the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia
Verizon Wireless' Year-Round Network Focus
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $60 billion since it was formed – $5.7 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services. In the West Area alone, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $11 billion.
More Information Available
- "Emergency Tips"- A video with tips for preparing for wildfires, earthquakes and other emergencies is available in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library and on YouTube.
- Ongoing network updates, enhancements and information are available by following VZWNetwork on Twitter.
- Additional video footage and images of Verizon Wireless year-round network preparations in the West and across the country are available in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library.
- Learn more about Verizon Wireless Emergency Preparedness.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 79,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless