SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 5, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Massage Envy announces six-point plan and revises its policies in response to recent sexual assault allegations. Massage Envy CEO Joe Magnacca released the following letter on December 5, 2017:
Throughout Massage Envy's 15-year history, safety in the treatment room has been - and always will be - paramount. The recent, heartbreaking stories of sexual assault suffered in Massage Envy franchise locations caused us to take a hard look at our business and at how we protect the members and guests who have placed their trust in the brand.
Last week, we shared the first steps that we have taken. Today, we're announcing a six-point plan, to drive additional, meaningful change. This plan will be rolled out and implemented across the network over the coming weeks.
Massage Envy Commitment to Safety:
- Prevention: We are mandating updated background screening for all massage therapists on an annual basis. We're also launching a fully-automated, third-party system with UBS (Universal Background Screening), consistently rated the country's top background screening company, that tracks compliance of service providers' employment requirements in real time. And, the network has just recently completed a review of all massage therapist files to ensure they have completed background and reference checks, have current licensure or certification and that annual training requirements have been met.
- Reporting: We are requiring that if a client makes an allegation of sexual assault, the franchisee will provide the client with contact information for local law enforcement and offer a private room to complete the call.
- Investigations: We are creating a qualified list of independent third-party resources that we will make available to assist franchisees in their investigations of sexual assault claims.
- Review: We are partnering with RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN works to prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and ensure perpetrators are brought to justice. Experts from RAINN will begin an end-to-end review of our policies and procedures — including reporting and investigation. They'll recommend changes and together we will put change into action.
- Support: We are working with RAINN on response services, including victim support, and through the National Sexual Assault Hotline, free access to immediate confidential assistance, trained staff and other resources.
- Guidance: We are forming the Massage Envy Safety Advisory Council. This group, which will initially include a representative from RAINN, as well as Danielle Dick, who was instrumental in advocating for this change, will help us develop, maintain and implement strong safety and support standards. We've also created a dedicated corporate department that will lead the development and implementation of safety policies, supported by RAINN and the Advisory Council.
We believe the work we're doing today can serve as a solid foundation for change across the industry, and we're working with industry groups - like the American Massage Therapy Association - to move that conversation forward.
The safety and well-being of members and guests has been our mission from day one and our commitment has never been stronger. We know that you put your trust in the brand, and we will keep working to earn it.
SOURCE Massage Envy