SPRINGFIELD, Mass., March 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) will offer $5,000 college scholarships to high-achieving students for its third straight year. The company's annual MassMutual Scholars Program offers a total of $135,000 to college students of African-American/Black, Asian/Pacific Islander or Hispanic descent residing or going to school in nine metropolitan areas across the country.
"The MassMutual Scholars program provides financial support and guidance to deserving students striving to obtain a college degree," said Nick Fyntrilakis, Assistant Vice President, of Community Responsibility at MassMutual. "We are very proud that in these tough economic times we are able to help students from diverse backgrounds achieve their dreams."
For Angelica Virginia Guio, one of last year's award recipients, the $5,000 scholarship meant she could continue to attend the University of San Francisco full-time, while working two full-time jobs and caring for an infirmed parent and younger sibling.
"As a full-time student; working two jobs can be extremely exhausting...I have learned many lessons since my mother suffered a stroke in 2009. I learned how to be a parent to my mother...I now know what it is like to stretch every dollar...and to truly appreciate every day you have because there is no way of knowing what tomorrow may hold," wrote Guio.
Like many of the MassMutual Scholars, Guio is planning to be the first in her family to graduate from a four-year higher education institution.
This year, MassMutual will open the scholarship program to students of all majors, increasing access to the scholarship opportunity. Applicants must reside or attend college in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Houston, Denver, Atlanta, Central New Jersey, Chicago, and Miami, meet certain academic criteria, such as having a 3.0 or better GPA, express an interest in careers in the insurance and financial services industry, and demonstrate financial need.
"Education is the cornerstone for multicultural families and is key to their economic empowerment," said Chris Mendoza, Assistant Vice President of Multicultural Market Development for MassMutual. "This scholarship program is just one of MassMutual's many efforts, including attracting talented professionals to the field of financial services and supporting people of diverse backgrounds, both as agents and as clients."
The program also has internship opportunities, which will expose select recipients to careers in financial services, while helping to strengthen the company's emphasis on serving diverse communities.
The application deadline is May 2, and winners will be notified in late summer.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be of African-American/Black, Asian/Pacific Islander or Hispanic descent;
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident with a permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551 (not expired);
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- Have plans to attend full-time a degree-seeking program at a U.S. accredited institution in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam during the 2011-2012 academic year;
- Be entering sophomore, junior, senior or fifth-year-senior at a four-year university or be a community college student;
- Reside or plan to attend an institution in one of the following metropolitan areas: Atlanta, Ga.; Chicago, Ill.; Denver, Colo.; Houston, Texas; Los Angeles, Calif.; Miami, Fla.; Central New Jersey; San Antonio, Texas; or San Francisco, Calif.
- Demonstrate leadership and extra-curricular activities; and
- Apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Students of all majors will be considered.
- Preference will be given to students whose essays demonstrate their interest in pursuing a career in the insurance and financial services industry.
For more information on how to apply or to obtain an application, visit www.hsf.net/massmutual.aspx.
Founded in 1851, MassMutual is a leading mutual life insurance company that is run for the benefit of its members and participating policyholders. The company has a long history of financial strength and strong performance, and although dividends are not guaranteed, MassMutual has paid dividends to eligible participating policyholders every year since the 1860s. With whole life insurance as its foundation, MassMutual provides products to help meet the financial needs of clients, such as life insurance, disability income insurance, long term care insurance, retirement/401(k) plan services, and annuities. In addition, the company's strong and growing network of financial professionals helps clients make good financial decisions for the long-term.
MassMutual Financial Group is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) and its affiliated companies and sales representatives. MassMutual is headquartered in Springfield, Massachusetts and its major affiliates include: Babson Capital Management LLC; Baring Asset Management Limited; Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC; The First Mercantile Trust Company; MassMutual International LLC; MML Investors Services, LLC, member FINRA and SIPC; OppenheimerFunds, Inc.; and The MassMutual Trust Company, FSB. For more information, visit massmutual.com.