SANTA MONICA, Calif., April 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Medtronic is one of the first companies to manufacture medical devices, including pacemakers that are as small as pills. They will be discussing their revolutionary process - called deep miniaturization - at the Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) East Conference set for June 9-12, 2014 at the Javits Convention Center in New York City.
Mark Phelps, Medtronic's Senior Program Director, Diagnostics and Monitoring, will present the Medtronic deep miniaturization case study on Monday, June 9, 2014 at 11:15 a.m. After four years of development, Medtronic has begun clinical trials for a pill-sized cardiac monitor and pacemaker: the Reveal LINQ cardiac monitor and the Micra transcatheter pacing system.
"Our goal isn't to make the world's smallest pacemaker; it is to make life easier for patients. Small devices equal smaller incisions, scars and costs," explains Phelps. "By collaborating across disciplines we could make smarter decisions in product development to drastically reduce sizes while advancing technology."
Phelps is just one of 80 speakers who will share their latest innovations at MD&M East. Other companies speaking include: Abbvie, Coopervision, Covidien, Siemen's Health Care and Depuy Sythes.
"We selected presenters who are in-the-trenches scientists and engineers. They are creating breakthrough technologies and processes, and are eager to detail their experiences with the public – many for the first time," says Hayley Haggerty, MD&M Content Development Manager for UBM Canon. "Our goal is to give attendees information that will kick-start innovative ideas today and well into the future."
Keynote speakers include:
- Scott P. Bruder, MD, PhD, chief Medical and Scientific Officer at Stryker Corporation, who will speak about creating a sustainable innovation pipeline
- Eric Brown, PhD, Director of Watson Technology at IBM, who will discuss how IBM is going to transform the healthcare industry
MD&M East will also provide:
- Expert insight covering the gamut of today's most pressing challenges including 3D printing and user interfaces; best practices and detailed technical training in risk management, process validation, eHealth, and quality and design control; sourcing and supply management, and much more
- More than 10 hours of conference-exclusive networking including a VIP reception and 3D- printing, mobile-health and polymers trade show tours
- Complimentary access to the MD&M East trade show which will provide sourcing and networking opportunities with more than 500 exhibitors from across the world
Register by May 16 and save up to $200 here: www.MDMeastconference.com
About UBM Canon - Organizer of MD&M East
UBM Canon is the leading B-to-B event producer, publisher, and digital media company for the world's $3 trillion advanced, technology-based manufacturing industry. Our print and electronic products deliver trusted information to the advanced manufacturing market and leverage our proprietary 1.3 million name database to connect suppliers with buyers and purchase influencers. We produce more than 50 events and conferences in a dozen countries, connecting manufacturing professionals from around the globe. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B-to-B communities and markets.
About UBM plc
UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organized into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news; follow @UBM for news and updates from across the businesses and selected members of UBM's Twitterati.
SOURCE UBM Canon