SAN DIEGO, Nov. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Many retailers plan to open their doors for Black Friday shoppers earlier this year, but according to a recent survey from ecoATM, the nationwide network of device recycling kiosks, that might not be enough to get shoppers in the door. The survey found that only 18 percent of Americans plan to do their shopping on Black Friday – and only seven percent on Cyber Monday – compared with the 44 percent who said they plan to shop for the majority of their gifts during the first few weeks of December.
However, when consumers do start shopping, more plan to shop in store rather than online this season, even despite free shipping and other online holiday deals. Consumers plan to shop at the following locations:
- 61 percent at discount retail stores such as Target
- 57 percent at online sites such as Amazon or eBay
- 36 percent at shopping malls
- 32 percent at department stores such as Macys or Bloomingdales
- 23 percent at specialty retail stores such as Apple, Gap, Sports Authority, etc.
Regardless of where and when Americans do their shopping, almost one quarter plans to use cash at the checkout counter this holiday season. There are more than 1,500 ecoATM® kiosks in malls and select retailers nationwide that give instant cash for old devices such as MP3 players, tablets and smartphones – cash that can help consumers buy the new gadgets on their wish list this holiday.
"Smartphones and tablets remain popular holiday gifts especially given the influx of new devices available this fall," said Maria Stipp, president of ecoATM. "Many upgrade to new devices over the holidays, but consumers don't need to wait to cash in. Trading in old phones and tablets at stores where consumers are already shopping can quickly boost holiday budgets."
Additional findings from the survey include:
- Hot gadgets on the wish list. The most popular gadget this year on consumers' wish lists is a new laptop (30 percent) then tablet (29 percent), television (28 percent), smartphone (28 percent), gaming console (18 percent), fitness band/tracker (12 percent) and smart watch (12 percent).
- Consumers choose phones over family. More than one quarter of consumers (27 percent) would rather spend time connected to their smartphone than their families this holiday!
- Trading in holiday annoyances. Traffic jams top the list of holiday frustrations consumers would like to trade in most for cash (35 percent), followed by fruit cake (19 percent), re-gifted presents (18 percent), annoying in-laws (11 percent), work holiday parties (nine percent) and canned cranberry sauce (eight percent).
For more information and locations, please visit http://www.ecoatm.com/.
Methodology: The research was conducted within the U.S. by independent market research company Edelman Berland on behalf of ecoATM from November 7-10, 2014, among 1,000 consumers age 18 or older. The margin of error for the audience is ±3.1% at the 95% confidence level.
ecoATM, an Outerwall Inc. (Nasdaq: OUTR) brand, is the first company to create an automated self-serve kiosk system to buy back old phones, tablets or MP3 players for cash. ecoATM uses patented, advanced machine vision, electronic diagnostics, and artificial intelligence to evaluate electronics. ecoATM's eCycling stations provide a convenient trade-in solution with features that validate sellers' identities and deter the sale of stolen phones, and the company collaborates with national, state, and local law-enforcement groups in combating mobile phone theft through innovative use of technology and education (http://www.ecoatm.com/law-enforcement/).
ecoATM holds Responsible Recycling (R2) and ISO14001 certification, confirming the company's commitment to maintaining the highest standards of electronics recycling, as well as ISO27001 certification for information and personal data security. See http://www.ecoatm.com/how-it-works/ for a video of how an ecoATM kiosk works. For more information, visit www.ecoatm.com and for more information about Outerwall Inc. please visit www.outerwall.com.
About Outerwall Inc.
Outerwall Inc. (Nasdaq: OUTR) has more than 20 years of experience creating some of the most profitable spaces for their retail partners. The company mission is to create a better everyday by delivering breakthrough kiosk experiences that delight consumers and generate revenue for retailers. As the company that brought consumers Redbox® entertainment, Coinstar® money services, and ecoATM® electronics recycling kiosks, Outerwall is leading the next generation of automated retail and paving the way for inventive, scalable businesses. Outerwall™ kiosks are in neighborhood grocery stores, drug stores, mass merchants, malls, and other retail locations in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. Learn more at www.outerwall.com.