ATLANTA, April 27, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Saturday, April 30, more than 50 Boys & Girls Clubs around the country will benefit from hours of painting, landscaping, cleaning, mentoring and other transformational efforts provided by thousands of Comcast NBCUniversal volunteers during the company's 15th Comcast Cares Day. The annual day of service includes employees, families, friends, and local community leaders gathering as part of the company's year-round commitment to service and the community.
"Each year, Clubs around the country benefit from the generosity of Comcast NBCUniversal employees who spend their day giving back to kids and teens who need them most," said Jim Clark, president and CEO Boys & Girls Clubs of America. "Comcast Cares Day also demonstrates to our Club youth the importance of service, to positively inspire a lifetime of volunteerism."
"Comcast Cares Day exemplifies Comcast and NBCUniversal's commitment to helping our neighbors and responding to local needs in the communities we serve," said David L. Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of Comcast Corporation. "Boys & Girls Clubs of America works tirelessly to make a positive local impact, and we are grateful to the volunteers who will be donating their time and talents to help make such a big difference in the lives of others."
Projects taking place this Saturday include:
- Philadelphia, Pa. (Bridesburg Boys & Girls Club) – Approximately 200 volunteers will clean, paint and make minor repairs inside the Club and remove litter and landscape the property surrounding the Club. Additionally, volunteers will work alongside Rebuilding Together Philadelphia and Scripps Networks Interactive to create a one-of-a-kind arts and crafts room.
- Salinas, Calif. (Boys & Girls Club of Monterey County - Salinas Clubhouse) – More than 300 volunteers will spruce up the Club by painting the common areas, cleaning the gym, removing debris from along the side and back of the building, and detailing the Club's fleet of vans.
- Canton, Miss. (Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Mississippi) – More than 200 volunteers will landscape and perform general cleanup of the building, as well as paint the activity room and several classrooms.
- Dallas, Texas (Grand Prairie Boys & Girls Club) – Approximately 100 NBC 5 and Telemundo 39 employees and other volunteers will mentally challenge more than 300 semi-finalists from 14 area Boys & Girls Clubs of Dallas at the "Math Blazers 2016" competition. Volunteers will staff and supervise math competitions and will carry out a hands-on STEM build project where the youth will build bicycles, which will be used as prizes for top winners of the competition.
- Grand Rapids, Mich. (Boys & Girls Club Youth Commonwealth) – Approximately 150 volunteers will participate in grounds beautification, outdoor garden planting, and general cleanup throughout the Club. Volunteers will also decorate lunch bags for donation to local food pantries.
- Mobile, Ala. (Boys & Girls Clubs of South Alabama) – More than 100 volunteers will take part in various beautification projects throughout the Club, including painting, grounds maintenance, and general cleanup.
Since the launch of Comcast Cares Day in 2001, more than 6,800 community projects have been completed and the Comcast Foundation has contributed more than $18 million to local non-profit organizations. This year, more than 100,000 employees, their family and friends will work alongside local community partners at hundreds of project sites across the U.S. and around the globe.
Comcast has supported local Boys & Girls Clubs for more than a decade, providing more than $100 million in cash and in-kind contributions. Additionally, Comcast NBCUniversal is the Presenting Sponsor of Boys & Girls Clubs of America's My.Future program, a cutting-edge technology education initiative that provides hands-on experiences and enables Club members to select from more than 40 activities to help them understand how to safely and productively engage online and identify and develop digital interests – from Internet basics for technology beginners, to robotics, coding, game design and online journalism for advanced learners.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of America
For more than 100 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America (GreatFutures.org) has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Today, more than 4,100 Clubs serve nearly 4 million young people annually through Club membership and community outreach. Clubs are located in cities, towns, public housing and on Native lands throughout the country, and serve military families in BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide. They provide a safe place, caring adult mentors, fun, friendship, and high-impact youth development programs on a daily basis during critical non-school hours. Priority programs emphasize academic success, good character and citizenship, and healthy lifestyles. In a Harris Survey of alumni, 54 percent said the Club saved their lives. National headquarters are located in Atlanta. Learn more at http://www.bgca.org/facebook and http://bgca.org/twitter.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities—promoting service, expanding digital literacy, and building tomorrow's leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated more than $176 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
SOURCE Boys & Girls Clubs of America