RICHMOND, Va., June 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) the summer of 2012 may be one of the worst on record in years for mosquitoes. But the upcoming "National Mosquito Control Awareness Week" (June 24 – 30) sponsored by the American Mosquito Control Association, is bad news for mosquitoes as it brings heightened attention on what Americans can do to protect themselves from the pesky and disease-bearing vectors.
Whether from the unseasonably warm spring or wet conditions, mosquitoes are already out in full force and several parts of the country have tested positive for the West Nile virus, which is carried by mosquitoes. The local experts at Mosquito Squad (www.mosquitosquad.com) offer five strategies for mosquito control, including:
1. TIP. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those in children's sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys; underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls. Other hot spots include tarps, gutters, and flat roofs.
2. TOSS. Remove excess grass, leaves, firewood and clippings from yards.
3. TURN. Turn over larger yard items that could hold water like children's portable sandboxes or plastic toys.
4. REMOVE TARPS. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment and grills aren't taut, they're holding water.
5. TREAT. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray on the body. Mosquito Squad's eliminates up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
While generally a nuisance, mosquitoes can carry dangerous diseases such as West Nile virus and encephalitis. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that nearly 300,000 Americans have been sickened with West Nile Virus since it arrived in the U.S. 11 years ago. For additional tips and information, visit www.mosquitosquad.com.
About Mosquito Squad
With 100 franchise locations nationwide, Mosquito Squad specializes in eliminating mosquitoes and ticks from outdoor living spaces, allowing Americans to enjoy their yards, outdoor living spaces, special events and green spaces. Mosquito Squad, an Outdoor Living Brands company, was certified as a World Class Franchise by the Franchise Research Institute in 2012, 2011, and 2010 and was rated one of the Top 50 Franchises by Franchise Business Review, receiving their 2012, 2011 and 2010 Franchisee Satisfaction Award. For more information, visit www.MosquitoSquad.com, www.MosquitoSquadFranchise.com and www.OutdoorLivingBrands.com.
SOURCE Mosquito Squad