HORSHAM, Pa., March 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) and EdgeCast Networks today announced an agreement where Motorola will distribute EdgeCast's comprehensive portfolio of content delivery network (CDN) solutions to service providers worldwide. This new relationship combines Motorola's leading portfolio of on-demand, network DVR and IP CPE solutions, driving the evolution of multiscreen TV and the smart, simple connected home, with a leader in the world of CDN development and deployment of intelligent global CDN networks.
With this agreement, Motorola becomes a global distributor and integrator of EdgeCast's proven and widely deployed CDN platform that includes advanced network provisioning, monitoring and management solutions. With the proliferation of video ready smart devices such as smartphones and tablets, service providers now have access to a complete end-to-end IP video delivery solution. Leveraging Motorola's expertise in Video on Demand (VOD), nDVR and in-home multi-screen IP video delivery capabilities, combined with EdgeCast's global IP CDN solution, service providers can quickly benefit by accessing a complete and adaptive IP multi-screen solution that immediately expands the service provider's revenue opportunities via an integrated VOD, nDVR, IP CDN and both home and public based IP multi-screen services.
"Motorola is driving the evolution of TV and the smart, simple connect home. Working with EdgeCast provides us the ability to offer our customers simple and fast access to a proven CDN environment that enables the delivery of IP video on-demand and nDVR cloud based services directly to the multi-device, multi-screen enabled consumer," said Joe Cozzolino, senior vice president and general manager, Network Infrastructure Solutions, Motorola Mobility. "EdgeCast's CDN solution will immediately enable service providers the ability to efficiently deliver multi-screen IP content, and if desired, an option to generate additional revenue by offering their CDN services directly to content providers."
The Motorola and EdgeCast agreement solves several problems for service providers, who can leverage the EdgeCast CDN platform to help drive new revenue opportunities: through IPTV or web content acceleration; reducing network, peering and backhaul costs by caching at the edge of the network; or improving the quality of the experience to consumers, as well as many other options with a solution for networks and budgets of any size.
"We are very pleased to be working with Motorola. Our content delivery solution gives powerful support to Motorola's strategy of offering a comprehensive IP video based service delivery platform that starts in the cloud and results in enhanced IP multiscreen services delivery into the consumer's home," said James Segil, president and co-founder, EdgeCast Networks. "By teaming with Motorola, we can offer a proven, completely integrated end-to-end solution for video delivery and enable service providers to directly offer CDN services."
EdgeCast CDN Services include:
- End-to-end, scalable and proven offering provides service providers with a complete, flexible system solution
- Will be integrated and delivered with products and software from Motorola Mobility's innovative Home business, such as a M3 media server, VOD servers, encoders, transcoders, MediaFlow and DreamGallery, all of which are backed by Motorola's world-class support services
- Supports all devices, three screen content and adaptive media streaming over HTTP, so users' video works seamlessly regardless of the content source or device type
- Includes customizable configurations to meet traffic spikes and varying volume levels for consistent service at all times
- Provides comprehensive security, monitoring and reporting features for simplified customer service and troubleshooting
- Includes installation, integration and support to help service providers roll it out quickly and seamlessly
- Flexible deployment models, such as a licensed software model for installation in an operator's network or a cloud-based model that offers quick start-up and low capital expenditure requirements for easy market entry;
- All available from Motorola Mobility, a proven leader in network and video delivery technology.
Delivering any data, anywhere, anytime, EdgeCast is the world's fastest and most reliable content delivery network (CDN.) The EdgeCast network serves more than 1.5 billion objects per hour on behalf of its customers and carries approximately 4% of worldwide Internet traffic. The company's software licensing group helps network operators deploy proven CDN technology on their own IP networks. To learn more, visit www.EdgeCast.com.
About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people's lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit www.motorola.com/mobility.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. All other products or service names are the property of their registered owners.© 2012 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Motorola Mobility, Inc.