LOS ANGELES, Oct. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- It's gold, new to the awards club and has a mega-watt smile. It's a Scorpio and is the envy of all the other awards in town. It's "The Jackie," the official award of the "Hub Network's First Annual Halloween Bash" national costume competition, airing Saturday, October 26, 8–10 p.m. ET/5–7 p.m. PT on the Hub Network, a destination for kids and their families.
The jack-o'-lantern inspired award was designed by Oishii Creative and manufactured by Society Awards, the company behind the awards for the American Music Awards, Directors Guild Awards, Golden Globes, MTV Video Music Awards and SXSW, among others. With a total height of 18-inches and an estimated weight of 10-pounds, "The Jackie" features a golden pumpkin elevated on a 2-inch pedestal. The award artfully integrates the iconic shape of the Hub Network logo into both eyes, and has a welcoming, yet mysterious smile.
The first-of-its-kind award will be featured at the "Halloween Bash" which will include the first-ever nationwide Halloween costume competition, where 50 semi-finalists representing each state in America will win a trip to Los Angeles to be a part of the televised costume competition judged by Halloween-expert Martha Stewart, actor Hal Sparks ("Spider Man 2"), and actress, singer and dancer Coco Jones ("Holla at the DJ"). One lucky winner will be crowned the "Best in Bash" National Champion, receive $25,000 and a chance at a walk-on role on the Hub Network's Daytime Emmy® Award-winning series, "R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: The Series."
Semi-finalists will be competing for "The Jackie" in the following categories:
- Howlarious – Shows the lighter side of Halloween with a take on a fun, funny or otherwise hilarious costume.
- Spooktacular – Get ready to frighten America by showcasing the most spine-chilling costume for all the ghosts and ghouls out there.
- Mad Genius – Unique, original, innovative and never seen before. A knight in armor fashioned from bottle caps, bat wings made from old umbrellas, or a cardboard-box jetpack, the possibilities are endless. Display a costume unlike any other — show your Mad Genius.
- Blast from the Past – Take a stroll down memory lane with a timeless costume. Memories, nostalgia and yesteryear brought to life. Show your take on great figures from before the 20th century or a retro 50's sock hop get up, 60's flower child or other "period" inspired costumes.
- Animal Kingdom – Transform into a living creature from the past or present. Be a roaring lion, a school of jellyfish, a firefly, or a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- Everyday Stuff – We're looking for the coolest refrigerator/freezer, remote control, mailbox, block of Swiss cheese, telephone and more. Be creative and transform the ordinary into the extra-ordinary.
Hosted by Kenan Thompson ("Saturday Night Live"), the "Hub Network's First Annual Halloween Bash," will also include performances by America's first teen-girl pop group Fifth Harmony, pop-star Cody Simpson and appearances by Nolan Gould ("Modern Family"), Zachary Gordon ("Diary of a Wimpy Kid"), Bailee Madison ("Trophy Wife"), Rico Rodriguez ("Modern Family"), Keean Johnson ("Spooksville") and Todd Newton ("Family Game Night"), among many others. Additional presenters and chart-topping musical acts will be announced shortly.
The "Hub Network's First Annual Halloween Bash" will take place at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif. on October 20. Bob Bain serves as executive producer and Paul Flattery is producer for Bob Bain Productions. Viewers can visit hubworld.com/halloween to view all of the Halloween-costume submissions and learn more about the special.
Sponsors of the "Hub Network's First Annual Halloween Bash" include Activision's Skylanders SWAP Force, Hasbro's Furby Boom!, Party City and Sparkle® Paper Towels.
About the Hub Network
The Hub Network is a multi-platform joint venture between Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) and Hasbro Inc., (NASDAQ: HAS) with a goal of entertaining, enlightening, empowering and educating children and their families. The cable and satellite television network features original programming as well as content from Discovery's library of award-winning children's educational programming; from Hasbro's rich portfolio of entertainment and educational properties built during the past 90 years; and from leading third-party producers worldwide. The Hub Network's lineup includes animated and live-action series, as well as specials, game shows, and family-favorite movies. The network extends its content through a robust and engaging online presence at www.hubworld.com. The Hub Network rebranded from Discovery Kids on October 10, 2010, and is available in over 73 million U.S. households. The Hub Network logo and name are trademarks of Hub Television Networks, LLC. All rights reserved.
To find the channel in your area, please visit http://www.hubworld.com and check the channel locator at the top of the page.
Visit the Hub Network on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hubtvnetwork and Twitter @HubTVNetwork
SOURCE Hub Network