MCHENRY, Ill., Sept. 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Medela has announced the launch of the MyMedela™ app, now available for Android and iPhone®, that offers first-of-its-kind digital breastfeeding support for pregnant, new and experienced mothers. This 24/7 resource provides mothers with robust tracking tools, along with personalized, expert advice on nursing and pumping. It delivers proactive guidance for overcoming issues, as well as tips that can lead to a positive breastfeeding experience for mother and child.
Why is Breastfeeding Support Needed?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that while 79 percent of moms initiate breastfeeding, only 41 percent of moms are breastfeeding exclusively at three months1. While breastfeeding is the most natural way to feed a baby, many mothers – even seasoned ones – need assistance and encouragement to ensure the most successful experience for baby and mom. Results from a survey conducted by Medela indicate that 70 percent of mothers do not meet their breastfeeding goals. New mothers who are worried about their breastfeeding success are more likely to give up.2
Why Should Moms Download MyMedela?
Unique Features for Moms:
- Offers an exclusive confidence assessment to understand mom's strengths and focus on her goals to then deliver customized feedback and support based on mom's answers and other data entries.
- Provides a problem solver tool for quick answers to common breastfeeding questions, featuring tips from expert healthcare professionals.
- Sends tailored articles and videos within the app, based on where each mom is on her breastfeeding journey.
Tools for Tracking Growth and Progress:
- Track breastfeeding and pumping routines (e.g., time spent, volume and frequency).
- Record information about baby's growth and daily activities, such as height, weight, sleep and diapers.
- See snapshots of mom and baby's activities on easy-to-read dashboards.
- Receive personalized reminders, alerts and notifications that celebrate accomplishments and help moms manage breastfeeding challenges and goals.
For more information about MyMedela, please visit MyMedelaApp.com or http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7091051-mymedela-breastfeeding-app/
1 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breastfeeding Report Card: United States, 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm.
2 Wagner EA, Chantry CJ, Dewey KG, Nommsen-Rivers LA. Breastfeeding Concerns at 3 and 7 Days Postpartum and Feeding Status at 2 Months. Pediatrics. 2013 Oct;132(4):e865-75. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-0724. Epub 2013 Sep 23.