ARLINGTON, Va., June 20, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- 1000+ individuals and family members affected by mental illness will be on Capitol Hill on June 29 visiting with Members of Congress to voice support for Medicaid and mental health coverage in the health reform debate. Other highlights include:
- Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) Senate Majority Whip
- Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)
- The Honorable Elizabeth Dole
- Joshua A. Gordon, M.D., Ph.D., Director, National Institute for Mental Health
Chirlane I. McCray, First Lady of New York City
NAMI Distinguished Service Award Honoree
- Ron Powers, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, No One Cares About Crazy People: The Chaos and Heartbreak of Mental Health in America
- Kay Redfield Jamison, clinical psychologist and writer, Robert Lowell: Setting the River on Fire; A Study of Genius, Mania and Character
- Andrea Petersen, Wall Street Journal contributing writer, On Edge: A Journey Through Anxiety
- David Leite, Food Writer, Notes on a Banana: A Memoir of Food, Love, and Manic Depression
Award-winning film about love and living with schizophrenia drawn from the writer's (Vincent Sabella) life. Followed by a discussion with Sabella (writer and director) and Joe Dain (producer).
God Knows Where I Am (Clips)
A homeless woman is found dead in an abandoned New Hampshire farmhouse. Based on her diary. Discussion to follow with Todd Wider, M.D. and Jedd Wider, Esq., producers and directors of acclaimed social justice documentaries.
Please see the full convention program for detailed information about major sessions and workshops that will present the latest scientific research, treatment innovations, education programs, public policy issues and many other topics.
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-alliance-on-mental-illness-nami-announces-annual-convention-highlights-300476928.html
SOURCE National Alliance on Mental Illness