ARLINGTON, Va., May 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Nestlé in the United States today released its 2016 Creating Shared Value Report at Sustainable Brands 2017 in Detroit, Michigan. The report highlights the company's efforts and achievements in nutrition, health and wellness; environmental sustainability; rural development and responsible sourcing; water; and social impact. Nestlé has achieved over 40 percent of its U.S. objectives for 2016 through 2020, including five completed one year or more ahead of schedule. Highlights from this past year include achieving zero waste to landfill status at 60% of U.S. factories, implementing a number of water efficiency projects that are projected to save more than 144 million gallons of water per year, and hosting the Company's largest single day of community service in celebration of Nestlé's 150th anniversary.
"Through our 2016 report we demonstrate that creating value for our business and creating value for society are inextricably linked," said Paul Grimwood, Chairman and CEO of Nestlé USA. "The breadth and depth of our achievements and ongoing commitments are a testament to the complexity of our business and the many areas where we have impact. All of these achievements exemplify how we deliver on our purpose of enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future."
To celebrate the 51,000 employees that make these efforts possible, this year's report features employee photos in a mosaic cover and profiles throughout the report, citing employees' personal contributions to creating shared value.
Highlights from the 2016 report include:
- Product reformulations: In keeping with its standing as the world's largest food and beverage company, Nestlé reformulated 1,830 products for nutrition and consumer preference, including reducing sodium and sugar, eliminating artificial colors and flavors, or increasing essential nutrients.
- Responsible sourcing: By the end of 2016, 90% of all cocoa materials in the U.S. were UTZ-certified and purchased through the Nestlé Cocoa Plan.
- Reducing water usage: Nestlé implemented water efficiency projects across California that are projected to save 144 million gallons of water per year.
- Creating jobs: Nestlé brought on 1,400 individuals for internships, trainee and development programs, academic hires and apprenticeships through Project Opportunity.
- Building community: Nestlé held its largest single day of community service with more than 6,000 Nestlé employees participating in more than 150 community events across the country in celebration of the company's 150th anniversary.
Completed objectives from the 2016 report include:
- Simplifying ingredient lists: In 2016, Nestlé expanded the number of products that are no GMO, gluten-free, or made with organic ingredients across some of its most popular brands.
- Advocating for effective water stewardship: Nestlé implemented water-savings projects in 100% of high-priority manufacturing facilities.
- Taking advantage of renewables: Nestlé developed an energy plan for each of its operating facilities that will take advantage of renewable energy and encourage utilities to move to more low-carbon energy mixes.
- Enhancing support for new parents: Nestlé successfully implemented its Parent Support Policy offering up to 14 weeks of paid leave to primary caregivers to take care of their newborns.
- Project Opportunity: Nestlé enhanced "readiness for work" activities (e.g., participation in job fairs, information sessions, résumé workshops, etc.) and increased its emphasis on the recruitment of military veterans, with a special focus on matching veterans to jobs that use their specialized skill sets.
To learn more about the Nestlé in the U.S. 2016 Creating Shared Value report, please visit www.Nestléusa.com/csv.
About Nestlé in the U.S.
Nestlé in the United States is committed to being a trusted leader in nutrition, health and wellness. Our 51,000 employees in the United States are committed to enhancing quality of life, contributing to a healthier future for individuals and families, our communities, and the planet. Nestlé in the U.S. offers a wide and varied portfolio of food and beverage products for people and their pets throughout their lives. Nestlé in the U.S. consists of eight main businesses: Nestlé USA, Nestlé Waters North America, Nestlé Nutrition, Nestlé Professional, Nespresso, Nestlé Health Science, Nestlé Skin Health and Nestlé Purina PetCare Company. The United States is Nestlé S.A.'s largest market with combined product sales in the United States totaling more than $27 billion in 2016. For more information, visit Nestleusa.com or Facebook.com/NestleUSA.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nestle-in-the-us-releases-2016-creating-shared-value-report-300461233.html
SOURCE Nestlé USA