SOLON, Ohio, July 17, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- LEAN CUISINE, a leader in frozen prepared foods, is expanding its menu with Origins, which offers 14 meatless comfort dishes made with at least 70% organic ingredients as certified by Oregon Tilth. The choices — including seven new recipes and seven updated dishes from the LEAN CUISINE Marketplace line – broaden the options available to consumers, bringing more of what they want to the table. Each dish features on-trend ingredients in innovative ways, like cauliflower as an alternative to mashed potatoes, lentil-based pasta and lasagna layered with feta cheese and butternut squash.
LEAN CUISINE culinary experts selected wholesome and accessible ingredients to put a new, flavorful twist on plant-based proteins and vegetables, playing at the intersection of a desire for meatless options and an increasing demand for organic foods. In fact, 23 percent of consumers reported they want more choices incorporating plant-based proteins on shelves, while a recent survey of Americans shows their appetite for organic foods has grown more than ever before.1,2 New Origins recipes feature meatless offerings made with legumes as well as gluten-free ingredients and, for the first time from LEAN CUISINE, two vegan options – Coconut Chickpea Curry and Sicilian-Style Pesto with Lentil Pasta – distinguishing the subline from the brand's existing varieties.
To create the Origins dishes that evolve with the latest tastes, the LEAN CUISINE culinary team sought inspiration beginning with their network of chef partners, who work in top restaurants around the country. Their insights on flavors and ingredient trends straight from the kitchen provided exciting new recipe ideas that resonate strongly with consumers.
New Varieties Feature In-Demand Flavors
The new LEAN CUISINE meatless comfort recipes made with 70% organic ingredients bring of-the-moment flavors to the freezer case.
- Butternut Squash Lasagna – A hearty and filling option — with 17 grams of protein — contains organic pasta, butternut squash, layers of goat cheese, spinach and warm spices that deliver unique flavor and texture with every bite.
- Coconut Chickpea Curry – Prepared with tender organic chickpeas, juicy organic tomatoes and long-grain brown rice in a Malaysian-style coconut curry sauce, this vegan and gluten-free dish contains 19 grams of fiber, 12 grams of complete plant protein and bursts of flavor.
- Farmer's Market Pizza — Featuring a crispy organic crust, rich organic mozzarella cheese and organic juicy tomatoes, this veggie-forward pizza is topped with kale, mushrooms and red peppers to provide 14 grams of protein.
- Linguine with Ricotta & Spinach Meatless Meatballs — Made with creamy organic ricotta cheese and tender spinach, these "meatballs" are tossed in fresh, organic linguine and finished with a light tomato vegetable sauce featuring yellow peppers and onion.
- Mushroom & Vegetable Shepherd's Pie — A harvest of delicious vegetables, including tender peas, carrots and lentils, are mixed with creamy potatoes and smooth cauliflower mash in a savory mushroom gravy lightens up a traditional British favorite to offer 1 cup of vegetables, 15 grams of protein and a forkful of flavor.
- Sicilian-Style Pesto with Lentil Pasta — Simple and satisfying with a vegan twist, this Italian-inspired creation combines organic lentil penne pasta with roasted red peppers, yellow carrots and spinach, tossed in a savory Sicilian-style pesto sauce with chopped tomato and vegetables for a flavorful dish that packs 15 grams of complete plant protein and 5 grams of fiber.
- Tuscan-Style Vegetable Lasagna — This high-protein lasagna features freshly made organic pasta layered with creamy ricotta cheese, mushrooms, kale and bell peppers in a chunky organic tomato sauce for the perfect blend of vegetables and cheese.
Reinvented Favorites Join the Origins Subline
Seven best-selling items from the LEAN CUISINE Marketplace subline are now available in Origins packaging. Now, the existing recipes are made with 70% organic ingredients, and in some cases, have been updated to meet this standard.
- Cheese & Bean Enchilada Verde
- Cheese & Fire-Roasted Chile Tamale
- Margherita Pizza
- Ricotta Cheese & Spinach Ravioli
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Alfredo
- Spicy Penne Arrabbiata
- Tortellini with Red Pepper Sauce
Feeding the Greatness in Every Woman
With more than 100 varieties, LEAN CUISINE has been a champion of good nutrition for women for nearly 40 years, and continues to expand the brand's menu with thoughtful offerings. In recent years, these efforts have included reducing sodium and simplifying ingredient labels, while introducing more options with vegetables, whole grains or protein alternatives.
"The LEAN CUISINE team of chefs and nutritionists work hand in hand to create new ways to meet women's evolving needs," said Julie Lehman, LEAN CUISINE Marketing Director. "The new Origins subline offers even more of what our consumers are after, from gluten-free foods to meatless offerings to options made with organic ingredients and now, vegan dishes. We have recipes every woman will enjoy, no matter their preference because we want to help nourish women and their pursuits."
For more information on LEAN CUISINE and the new recipes, visit LeanCuisine.com. All new products have an MSRP of $3.69 and are available at grocery stores and mass retailers nationwide.
About LEAN CUISINE
A leader in frozen prepared dishes, LEAN CUISINE is dedicated to feeding the ambition in every woman with delicious, satisfying and convenient meals. With over 90 frozen entrée options, each LEAN CUISINE recipe is developed with women's dietary preferences in mind - from non-GMO to gluten-free to vegan and high fiber. Our nutritionists work alongside our culinary team to create flavorful solutions that thoughtfully pair ingredients together. A Nestlé USA brand, LEAN CUISINE has been crafting on-trend recipes to fuel women for more than 35 years. For product news and information, visit LeanCuisine.com. Find LEAN CUISINE on social media at Facebook.com/LeanCuisine, Instagram.com/leancuisine and on Twitter at @Lean Cuisine.
Named among "The World's Most Admired Food Companies" in Fortune magazine for twenty consecutive years, Nestlé USA is committed to enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future. By providing choices, from nutritious meals with LEAN CUISINE® to baking traditions with Nestlé® Toll House,® Nestlé USA makes delicious, convenient, and nutritious food and beverages that make good living possible. With 2016 sales of $9.7 billion, Nestlé USA is part of Nestlé S.A. in Vevey, Switzerland — the world's largest food company — with 2016 sales of $91 billion. For product news and information, visit Nestleusa.com or Facebook.com/NestleUSA.
1 "Plant-Based Proteins Are Gaining Dollar Share Among North Americans." What People Watch, Listen To and Buy, 22 Sept. 2017, www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2017/plant-based-proteins-are-gaining-dollar-share-among-north-americans.html.
2 "Robust Organic Sector Stays on Upward Climb, Posts New Records in U.S. Sales." Environmental Benefits of Organic | OTA, 24 May 2017, www.ota.com/news/press-releases/19681.