ARLINGTON, Texas, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 50 percent of U.S. pets are classified as overweight. In fact, pet obesity is the leading health threat to our nation's pets, and many pet families are resolving to get their pudgy pooches and fat felines into shape for 2014. Petmate, a leading maker of innovative products pet families prefer for home, travel and play, offers tips for a healthier new year for pets.
- Feeding: Many owners "eyeball" their pet's daily intake, usually resulting in overfeeding and weight gain. The Petmate Portion Right™ Programmable Feeder allows for convenient feeding with a programmable option to ensure proper portions. Petmate also offers the Bamboo Slow Feed Bowl, which features an internal chambered design that prevents dogs from eating too rapidly, aiding in nutrient absorption and digestion.
- Water: To prevent a host of health problems such as urinary tract infections and kidney disease in pets, a water fountain such as the Petmate Replendish® Waterer continuously provides filtered flowing water, which encourages consumption. Collapsible, silicone Petmate Travel Bowls conveniently keep traveling pets hydrated and fit into small spaces and pockets.
- Exercise: Dogs and their people reap the rewards of healthy physical activity with the ChuckIt!® Ground Pursuit – Kick Fetch®, a great interactive toy for chasing and fetching. The fast-flying ChuckIt! ZipFlight offers fun on land or in the water. For indoor fun, the ChuckIt! Indoor Ball offers the health benefits of playing fetch, even during cold winter months.
- Oral hygiene: Keep dogs' mouths healthy with regular brushing, a healthy diet and plenty of chew toys. The JW Pet EverTuff® nylon line of toys and bones provides a healthy, satisfying outlet for a dog's instinctive need to gnaw and chew while promoting optimum dental health for dogs of any age.
- Travel: Unsecured pets in a vehicle not only distract drivers, but they're also more likely to be injured in an accident. The Petmate Ultimate Travel Harness offers comfort, safety and versatility with a step-in harness, chest padding and an adjustable loop that can be used as a seat belt tether, tie-out or temporary leash.
- Vet care: Don't forget that regular visits to the veterinarian are the best way to stay ahead of potential problems and to make sure pets are as healthy as they are happy.
"Healthy habits like portion control, exercise and getting regular checkups are good for pets and their people, and now is a great time to establish fresh routines that improve our lives and the lives of our pets," said Petmate Manager of Corporate Communications Emilye Schmale. "Petmate is dedicated to creating feeding, watering, exercise and travel accessories that improve quality of life and make it easy to take better care of your pet in 2014."
Founded in 1963, Petmate is the nation's leading maker of innovative products pet families prefer for home, travel and play. Arlington, Texas-based Petmate is the trusted authority in innovative, functional, high-quality pet products including bedding, kennels, dog houses, feeding and watering products, litter maintenance products, toys, collars, leads and travel solutions, available at pet supply retailers nationwide. Petmate also makes pet family favorite brands Chuckit!, Wetnoz, Aspen Pet, JW and more. For more information, visit www.petmate.com.