NEW YORK, April 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- HIMSS -- Nexus, a Dimension Data company, will showcase a new mobile nursing observation station at the 2015 HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition that virtually monitors patients in hospitals and other care facilities in real-time. Dubbed "MONA," the new mobile observation station was designed to cost effectively improve patient safety and increase caregiver efficiency.
The new MONA offering encompasses both video and audio technology to enable hospital staff to monitor multiple patients from a remote location, a critical capability that minimizes the disruption of the healing environment. Delivered as a mobile solution, MONA allows care professionals to immediately initiate two-way communication when a patient needs assistance, while simultaneously dispatching staff to provide physical assistance.
Leveraging the same high-quality Nexus technology offered in the fixed solution, the new mobile cart delivers added flexibility across more diverse locations and shortens the time to deployment. The mobile version fits through standard doors, and has a run time of up to eight hours – which allows it to be moved from one location to another without losing connectivity.
"Patient falls – particularly the elderly in hospitals and care facilities – are a major problem, and contribute to a substantial healthcare burden," said Donn Wurts, national practice director in Nexus Connected Healthcare solutions. "Nexus' mobile nursing observation station is a major advancement in helping the healthcare industry to improve this situation."
MONA features and capabilities include:
- Cisco HD camera: High-definition video camera streams crisp and clear video at resolutions up to 2560 x 1920. It is IK10 and IP66-rated for cleaning and infectious control. An infrared illuminator can light an area up to 20 meters away, providing a lights-out experience for the patients.
- On-Cart communications: Provides real-time communications between observer and patient. It also integrates via standard SIP with Cisco Call Manager and other providers
- Wireless connectivity: 802.11ac with 4x4 multiple-input/output (MIMO) technology and three spatial streams, offers sustained 1.3-Gbps. MIMO equalization optimizes uplink performance and reliability by reducing the impact of signal fade
- Wired connectivity: Includes Gigabit Ethernet connectivity or SFP connectivity, providing flexibility for all environments
- On-board UPS power: Provides smooth transition from one location to another without loss of connectivity with up to eight hours of run time. It can also be configured for longer run times, if needed
- Cart physical profile: Scaled small with a footprint of 24 inches x 26 inches, allowing it to fit through standard doors, while also providing a clear view of patients
Recent statistics show that up to one million patients in hospitals and approximately 50 percent of individuals in long-term care environments fall each year, many resulting in devastating consequences and even death. While not every fall is preventable, hospitals, elderly care facilities and the healthcare industry overall are seeking out new technologies and devices like MONA to improve care, contain costs, and address this issue.
Nexus Connected Healthcare is a team of industry specialists with diverse skill sets supporting the specific needs of healthcare. Connecting people, process, and technology to improve patient care, Nexus improves healthcare workers' efficiency and effectiveness through the use of advanced technology, enabling an improved patient/care provider experience.
Visit Nexus at booth #4718 for a MONA demonstration and to experience a wide range of patient observation and telemedicine solutions offered by Nexus.
About Dimension Data
Founded in 1983, Dimension Data plc is an ICT services and solutions provider that uses its technology expertise, global service delivery capability, and entrepreneurial spirit to accelerate the business ambitions of its clients. Dimension Data is a member of the NTT Group. Visit us at http://www.dimensiondata.com/en-US, Like us on www.facebook.com/DimensionDataAmericas or follow us @DimensionDataAM.
Based in Valencia, CA, Nexus leverages its extensive experience and expertise to enable organizations to Connect, Collaborate, and Create. We do this by providing expertise in end-to-end technology solutions based on six distinct, yet complementary practices: Collaboration, Data Center, Borderless Networks, Business Video, Cloud and Managed Services. Nexus partners with industry leaders including Cisco, EMC, VMware, NetApp, Citrix, AMD Telemedicine, Microsoft, and NEC to ensure its customers are provided the most comprehensive and competitive solutions. Nexus serves the private sector, from small business to the Fortune 500; and the public sector including local, state, and federal government. Additionally, Nexus has highly specialized vertical market practices including education, retail, hospitality, and healthcare where it has developed proprietary applications that turn unified communication into clinical workflow solutions. Nexus is a Dimension Data company and Nexus Connected Healthcare is part of Nexus. Nexus was acquired by Dimension Data in April 2014 and continues to trade under the Nexus name.
For further information, please contact:
Davies Murphy Group
SOURCE Dimension Data