TOLEDO, Ohio, Sept. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- For the fifth year in a row, Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) has earned placement in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) in recognition of its sustainability initiatives.
For the second straight year, Owens Corning was named the Industry Leader for the DJSI World Building Products group.
Composed of global sustainability leaders, the DJSI World Index is an elite listing of the world's largest companies based on long-term economic, environmental and social criteria.
"We are proud to have earned a place on this list again this year," said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mike Thaman. "Our employees are working every day to make homes more energy efficient, roofs more durable and weather-resistant, cars more fuel efficient, and renewable energy more cost effective. Our sustainability strategy is realized every day at Owens Corning, through the products we produce and the way we produce them."
"In addition to our continued work to dramatically reduce our environmental footprint, what has our company most excited about sustainability right now is our work toward understanding, measuring and expanding our handprint – striving to achieve a net-positive impact of our company and its products," said Owens Corning Chief Sustainability Officer Frank O'Brien-Bernini. "We have accomplished much, but we have more to do on the path to becoming a net-positive company. That's where our current efforts are focused."
Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across both of its business segments: Building Materials and Composites. The company recently reported its sustainability progress in its eighth Sustainability Report. Some highlights include:
- Received the highest honor of the National Safety Council, the 2014 Green Cross for Safety medal, recognizing leadership and progress in safety.
- Commissioned the largest on-site solar PV system in the state of New York at the Delmar EcoTouch™ Insulation plant.
- Recycled one million tons of asphalt shingles in North America, representing approximately 10 percent of the market.
- Doubled our freight miles driven on natural gas (converted from diesel); the goal is 50 percent by 2020.
- Signed the Climate Declaration calling on the U.S. policymakers to address climate change and joined the Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP) advocacy organization.
- Assisted nearly 4,000 families through the donation of insulation and roofing materials for their homes.
- Impacted the lives of more than 5,500 children in China by constructing nutritional food kitchens in rural schools.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI World is the first global index to track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide based on an analysis of financially material economic, environmental, and social factors. The DJSI follow a best-in-class approach, including companies across all industries that outperform their peers in numerous sustainability metrics. Each year over 3,000 companies, including 800 companies from emerging markets, are invited to participate in RobecoSAM's Corporate Sustainability Assessment, which provides an in-depth analysis of financially material economic, environmental, and social practices. (Source: S&P Dow Jones Indices)
An in-depth look at Owens Corning's sustainability efforts can be found in the company's 2013 Sustainability Report and on the following website: http://sustainability.owenscorning.com.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) is a leading global producer of residential and commercial building materials, glass-fiber reinforcements and engineered materials for composite systems. A Fortune 500® company for 60 consecutive years, and in business for more than 75 years, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology with sales of $5.3 billion in 2013 and about 15,000 employees in 27 countries. Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning Investor Relations News
SOURCE Owens Corning