HARRISBURG, Oct. 19 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Citing their commitment to the state's agriculture industry, Agriculture Secretary Russell C. Redding recognized 40 outstanding fair volunteers from communities throughout the state as part of the Fair Ambassador Program.
"This year I had the opportunity to visit 40 fairs throughout the state and saw for myself the commitment of fair volunteers," said Redding. "These dedicated individuals put their regular lives on hold and work very long hours to make sure fairgoers enjoy their visit.
"In leading by example, our fair boards, committee members and volunteers ensure our young people are surrounded by great role models and dedicated community leaders."
Pennsylvania is home to 114 county and local fairs that bring agriculture to life for more than six million people each year. Out of that number, 36 are century fairs and four are bicentennial, those in operation 100 and 200 years, respectively.
Fifteen of the state's fairs offer live harness racing as one of the nation's leading fair racing programs.
For more information about Pennsylvania's fairs, visit www.agriculture.state.pa.us and search "Fairs."
Media contact: Matt Tindall, 717-787-5085
Editor's Note: A list of 2010 Fair Ambassadors follows:
- Allentown County Fair – Tammy Keane
- Bedford County Fair – Norah William
- Bloomsburg Fair – James. A. Turner
- Carbon County Fair – Robert S. Silliman
- Centre County Grange Fair – Darlene Confer
- Clinton County Fair – Lewis Snook
- Denver Fair – Charles Messner
- Dillsburg Farmers Fair – Ginny Shatto
- Elizabethtown Fair – Sarah Myer
- Ephrata Fair – Sue Pfautz
- Fayette County Fair – Sue Koleck
- Gratz Area Community – Haven Schaffner
- Harford Fair – James 'Ken' Adams
- Huntington County Fair – Vicki Brown
- Indiana County Fair – Arlene Weaver
- Jacktown Fair – Walter 'Buck' Burns
- Juniata County Fair – Sue Pontius
- Kimberton Community Fair – Dominick and Dee Aquilante
- Lebanon Area Fair – Richard Kreider
- Luzerne County Fair – Judy Kmetz
- Lycoming County Fair – James H. Springman
- Manheim Fair – Jay Mylin
- Mason Dixon Fair – Denise Robinson
- McKean County Fair – Joe Irons
- New Holland Farmer's Fair – Lisa Wanner
- Oley Valley Community Fair – Kevin Bieber
- Perry County Community Fair – John 'Jack' Hess
- Potter County Fair – Sarah Gilliland
- Schnecksville Community Fair – Donald Kuntz
- Schuylkill County Fair – Robert and Kathy Evanchalk
- Shippensburg Community Fair – Richard Wyrick
- Somerset County Fair – Byron Glessner
- South Mountain Fair – Joanne Irvin
- Tioga County Fair – Dr. David Reese
- Troy Fair – Larry Krug
- Washington County Fair– Lee Robinson
- Wayne County Fair – Nina Martin
- West End Fair – Donald Everett
- West Lampeter Fair – Donald H. Herr
- York Fair – George Spangler
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture