CRANBERRY, Pa., May 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PLS Logistics Services, a leading provider of transportation management, technology and brokerage solutions for industrial shippers announced the results of its 2nd annual survey of industrial freight carriers on the use of liquefied natural gas (LNG) powered trucks.
Natural gas production is becoming big business in North America. According to the Energy Information Administration, demand for this cheaper, cleaner energy source will drive a steady rise in natural gas usage for years to come – for usage in homes, businesses and industrial plants. The question remains, will LNG vehicles become a significant factor in long-haul freight?
To determine the potential of LNG vehicle use for industrial freight, PLS Logistics Services surveyed senior executives at 100 large industrial freight carriers. PLS survey respondents represent key decision makers at some of the largest industrial trucking companies in the United States.
Highlights from the Survey:
- There has been a significant increase in respondents who plan to purchase LNG vehicles compared to the previous year's results.
- There has been a major shift in attitude among the majority of respondents, who now believe LNG is a viable alternative to diesel.
- Large carriers appear to be leading the industry with plans to adopt LNG technology while smaller operators are more resistant.
- Potential barriers to the use of LNG remain, with refueling infrastructure still a key issue, followed closely by the higher cost of LNG compatible engines.
- Both 2013 and 2012 survey results indicate that heavy-haul carriers are receiving little pressure from customers to provide a natural gas shipping option, despite the potential cost advantages.
Commenting on the survey results, PLS Logistics Services' Chairman and CEO Greg Burns noted:
"The results of our latest survey show significant movement within the trucking industry toward adoption of LNG technology. PLS believes LNG has an important role to play as a U.S. energy source, and our future surveys will track adoption rates and attitudes towards this alternative fuel in the future. "
More detailed survey results are available via PLS' website: www.plslogistics.com/whitepapers/PLS2013_LNGSurvey.pdf
About PLS Logistics Services
PLS Logistics Services is a leading provider of logistics management, brokerage and technology services for industrial shippers. PLS handles over one million loads annually across all major freight modes: flatbed, van, LTL, rail & barge, air & ocean. The PLS network consists of over 22,000+ trucking companies along with Class-1 railroads and major barge companies.
SOURCE PLS Logistics Services