PITTSBURGH, Nov. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Keep your shopping experience merry and bright this holiday season, with a few tips from PNC Bank:
1. Know where your cards are at all times, and never leave your wallet or purse unattended.
2. Load a gift card with your holiday shopping cash. The card is not connected to any of your bank and credit accounts, protecting your finances in the event of a data compromise at your favorite retailer.
3. Use only secure websites when shopping online. Secure sites display a URL that begins with "https:" instead of "http:" and shows a locked padlock icon.
4. Consider using digital wallets. Tools such as Visa Checkout or Apple Pay™ offer an alternative to making online and in-store purchases. Your debit and credit card information is stored behind layers of security and utilizes token technology, depending on your tool of choice.
5. Set up security alerts to receive text message or email notifications when a bank transaction takes place. If something looks suspicious, be sure to make your bank aware.
6. Monitor your account and review your account statements regularly. If you notice suspicious transactions when reviewing your account statements or online activity, immediately call the number on the back of your card.
For further information on security and fraud protection, visit the PNC Security Assurance page to learn more. Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple, Inc. Visa Checkout is operated by Visa U.S.A. Inc.
PNC Bank, N.A. is a member of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. PNC (www.pnc.com) is one of the United States' largest diversified financial services organizations, providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management.
SOURCE PNC Bank