SEATTLE, Jan. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- PopCap Games, maker of some of the world's most popular video games, today announced the launch of Bejeweled Twist™ for the Nintendo DS®. The latest installment of the award-winning Bejeweled® franchise, this new adaptation of the revolutionary, top-selling PC title is the fifth Nintendo DS game that PopCap has released, most recently following Bookworm™ DS and Peggle™ Dual Shot, both introduced last year. Bejeweled Twist DS is available now at major retail outlets for an SRP of US$19.99.
"Bejeweled Twist for the DS takes the match-3 puzzler to new heights with all four of the phenomenal games modes straight from the PC version, plus an all-new multiplayer Battle mode for even greater challenge, and endless ways to play," stated Ed Allard, vice president of strategic development at PopCap. "This action-packed adaptation lets players rotate jewels to set up electrifying combos, outwit obstacles like Locks and Bombs, and create high-voltage Lightning and Flame gems. They can rev up with a strategic challenge, relax in the gem-spinning zone, or play head-to-head against a friend."
Bejeweled Twist for Nintendo DS faithfully recreates the manic excitement and split-second strategy of the newest entry in the beloved PC game franchise. This adaptation features all of the action and visual polish that PopCap players have come to expect while providing new content and gameplay enhancements especially for the DS -- making it a true standout title in the handheld category. Fans and newcomers alike can easily pick up the new stylus-based controls, building on the basic mechanic of twisting two-by-two squares of gems to match colors/shapes.
In the all-new multiplayer Battle mode*, two players can challenge one another over the Nintendo Wireless Communications network, while playing with either their retail cartridge, or using the DSiWare version of Bejeweled Twist, which launched last December.
Single Player Modes
- Classic: Players will rotate gems clockwise to make matches of three or more. Each match adds to the progress bar (Tube). Once the Tube has filled, players will proceed to the next level. Players will use Flame, Lightning and Fruit gems to produce fiery explosions and other powerful effects. Obstacles such as Bomb, Locked and Doom gems will add to the challenge along the way.
- Zen: Players will experience a more relaxing mode of gameplay. There are no Bomb, Locked, or Doom gems and no 'losing.' Zen mode is a great place to try out strategies, earn points, or simply enjoy a non-timed, no-pressure game experience.
- Blitz: Players will be challenged in a five minute version of Classic mode with only one game board. They will battle obstacles, including Bomb, Locked and Doom gems in an exciting race against the clock.
- Challenge: Players will experience a collection of puzzles that have goals instead of points. There are 13 Challenge Planets, each with 7 levels of the same type of challenge. After beating every challenge in a planet, a special Eclipse mode is unlocked.
- Battle: Two players will compete against one another over the Nintendo Wireless Communications network using either their retail cartridge, or the DSiWare version of the game. Players share a meter and compete to gain full control of it during a tug-of-war style game. Players can also fill up an "attack" meter by making consecutive matches and are rewarded by sending a Bomb gem to their opponent's board. A player wins by filling the entire meter in his/her favor.
PopCap Games (www.popcap.com) is the leading multi-platform provider of fun, easy-to-learn, captivating video games that appeal to everyone from age 6 to 106. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000 and has a worldwide staff of over 240 people in Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Vancouver, B.C., Dublin, and Shanghai. Its games have been downloaded more than 1 billion times by consumers worldwide, and its flagship title, Bejeweled®, has sold more than 25 million units across all platforms. Constantly acclaimed by consumers and critics, PopCap's games are played on social networks, the Web, desktop computers, myriad mobile devices (cell phones, smartphones, PDAs, Pocket PCs, iPod, iPhone and more), popular game consoles (such as Xbox, PlayStation and DS), and in-flight entertainment systems. PopCap is the only "casual games" developer with leading market share across all major sales channels, including Web portals, retail stores, mobile phones, MP3 players, and game devices.
*Battle mode requires two copies of Bejeweled Twist DSiWare, or the retail cartridge. Each player must have his/her own DS or DSi.
The PopCap logo and all other trademarks used herein that are listed at www.popcap.com/trademarks are owned by PopCap Games, Inc. or its licensors and may be registered in some countries. Other company and product names used herein may be trademarks of their respective owners and are used for the benefit of those owners.
SOURCE PopCap Games