DALLAS, July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a multi-mode power management unit (PMU) that enables ultra-low, total system quiescent current as low as 100 nA, which minimizes power consumption in battery-powered, microcontroller-based water and gas meters and other industrial applications. The TPS65290 PMU manages all power requirements in the system, including load conditions from 100 nA to 500 mA. To order free samples, visit: www.ti.com/tps65290-pr.
The TPS65290 PMU incorporates three factory configurable "always-on" power supplies for microcontroller (MCU) sleep mode and an automatic function for choosing power from either the input voltage or buck-boost converter. In addition, the TPS65290 operates seamlessly with TI's ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs, such as the MSP430F5328.
Key features and benefits of the TPS65290:
- Extend battery life: Designers can develop systems to last beyond 10 years on a single battery by taking advantage of the new PMU's low-power, always-on bias supply for MCU sleep mode with the following three factory-selectable options:
- 10-mA, 100-nA quiescent current (IDDQ) sleep mode, leakage current bias controller with preset voltage.
- 10-mA, 400-nA IDDQ low-dropout regulator (LDO).
- 30-mA, 300-nA IDDQ buck converter.
- Minimize board footprint, number of components and cost: Integrates a 500-mA buck-boost converter, 150-mA LDO, eight power distribution switches, input voltage recovery comparator, state machine, and factory-selectable SPI/I2C interface onto one 20-mm2 power management chip.
- Configurable for multiple applications: Extensive EEPROM configurations and programmable output voltages allow designers flexibility to optimize their systems' output voltage.
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor market share leader, providing a diverse portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including Smart Grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, ampliﬁers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog products improve industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at www.ti.com/industrial-pr.
Availability and pricing
The TPS65290 is available today in a 24-pin, 4-mm x 5-mm, VQFN package for a suggested retail price of US$1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities. Designers can order the TPS65290BMEVM and TPS65290LMEVM evaluation modules to quickly evaluate their designs and speed time to market.
Find out more about TI's smart grid and PMU solutions:
- Check out TI's broad portfolio of Smart Grid solutions.
- Download the Power Management Units for Embedded Processors selection guide.
- For help and more resources to aid design-in, read Selecting output filter capacitors in high-efficiency, pulse-skipping mode on TI's Power House blog.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
- Find hundreds of reference designs for any application in the PowerLab™ Reference Design Library.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated