CHESTER, Pa., July 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer continues to be one of the most popular seasons for home improvement. With warmer temperatures and longer amounts of sunshine, several outdoor tasks are ideal for this time of year to not only prepare your home for the coming months, but to also create an atmosphere that's appealing to homeowners and their guests, while adding to the home's value in the process. Power Home Remodeling Group, one of the nation's largest exterior home remodelers, put together a checklist of the top five projects homeowners should consider during the summer season.
"The summer months continue to be quintessential for home maintenance, and it's important to stay on top of projects like inspecting your siding or windows, setting up larger replacements like a new roof, as well as other curb appeal enhancements while the weather is warmer," said Matt Hess, vice president of operations for Power Home Remodeling Group. "Checking the right improvement projects off your to-do list will create the best return on investment for your home and save you money in the future — making life easier leading into fall and then the holiday season."
Power's recommended home maintenance to-do's include:
- Make your home more energy efficient: High energy bills during the summer months can be avoided by increasing a home's energy efficiency. Consider investing in new doors and energy efficient windows to protect window treatments, floors and furniture from fading due to sun damage. Look for heat resistant windows that are much more effective at keeping heat and humidity at bay. Homeowners may also want to cut down AC usage by turning the thermostat up during the daytime hours, or consider installing a programmable thermostat.
- Beautify your home's exterior – According to the 2015 Cost vs. Value Report, enhanced curb appeal has been linked to increased value and return on investment across the country. The warm weather and longer summer days from July to early September are ideal for outdoor home improvement projects. Inspect your exterior for loose or rotted siding and if it's time for a revamp, the higher temperatures are perfect for power washing or repainting the siding for a faster dry time. Summer also continues to be a popular time for installing a new roof and let's not forget about refreshing your home's landscaping to complete the new and improved look!
- Create your own backyard paradise: Turn your backyard into your own mini getaway and every weekend will feel like a vacation. Consider the atmosphere first — hang and install dim LED lights throughout the yard, and cut back shrubbery and plant a variety of bright, tropical flowers. Then, think about entertaining — spruce up summer dinner parties by making sure the grill has been inspected and cleaned for better tasting food and consider installing an outdoor speaker to play your favorite summer tunes.
- Bug-proof your home: Call in an exterminator in the beginning of the season to avoid a run-in with an unwanted guest or an irritating buzz while you're watching TV. Other ways to bug-proof your home include storing trash properly and only throwing out food in the kitchen trashcan with a lid, as well as making sure screens are being used on both windows and doors.
- Soak up the sun with an outdoor DIY project: What's better than being outside on a beautiful summer day after a long cold winter, while being productive at the same time? Try a few DIY projects like edging the garden with cement or stone bricks or applying stone or tile to the siding of the foundation of your home. Building an outside coffee table or fire pit are two other fun DIY projects that would be great for entertaining purposes.
About Power Home Remodeling Group
Established in 1992, Power Home Remodeling Group is the nation's second largest exterior home remodeler with more than 1,400 employees, 150,000 customers and $310 million in annual revenue. Headquartered in Chester, Pa., Power provides energy-saving and environmentally friendly remodeling solutions to residents across its operating territories, including Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Virginia. A five-time Inc. 5000 company, Power is recognized as a Master Elite contractor by GAF, Inc., a Green Product Award winner by Door & Window Manufacturer Magazine and a home improvement leader by its two-time "Dealer of the Year" award from Window and Door Magazine.
SOURCE Power Home Remodeling Group