WASHINGTON, Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Census Bureau today released its 2012 Service Annual Survey, which shows a revenue increase in 10 of the nation's 11 service sectors for employer firms between 2011 and 2012. The utilities sector was the only sector to show a year-to-year decline in revenue, down by $22.7 billion to $533.4 billion for 2012.
The Service Annual Survey provides the most comprehensive national statistics available each year on service industry activity in the United States. In 2009, the survey was expanded to collect data for all service industries, which account for 55 percent of U.S. gross domestic product (GDP).
Highlights from selected service sectors include:
- Private sector utility revenue for 2012 was $533.4 billion, down 4.1 percent from $556.1 billion in 2011.
Transportation and Warehousing
- Revenue for transportation and warehousing for 2012 was $781.2 billion, up 5.3 percent from $742.0 billion in 2011.
- Information sector revenue for 2012 was $1.2 trillion, up 4.5 percent from 2011.
- Within the information sector, the revenue for motion picture and video exhibition for 2012 was $14.5 billion, up 9.1 percent from $13.3 billion in 2011.
- Television broadcasting revenue for 2012 was $38.8 billion, up 9.8 percent from $35.3 billion in 2011.
- In 2012, the revenue for Internet publishing and broadcasting and Web search portals was $57.5 billion, up 18.7 percent from $48.5 billion in 2011.
Finance and Insurance
- Finance and insurance revenue for 2012 was $3.4 trillion, up 3.4 percent from 2011.
- Within the sector, mortgage and nonmortgage loan brokers had $10.5 billion in revenue for 2012, up 47.5 percent from $7.1 billion in 2011.
Real Estate and Rental and Leasing
- Real estate and rental and leasing had $447.4 billion in revenue for 2012, up 6.3 percent from $420.9 billion in 2011.
- Within the sector, real estate had $299.0 billion in revenue for 2012, up 7.3 percent from $278.8 billion in 2011.
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- Professional, scientific, and technical services revenue for 2012 was $1.4 trillion, up 4.1 percent from 2011.
- Within the sector, the revenue for advertising agencies for 2012 was $39.8 billion, up 12.4 percent from $35.4 billion in 2011.
Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services
- Administrative and support and waste management and remediation services had revenue of $720.8 billion for 2012, up 5.5 percent from $683.4 billion in 2011.
- Educational services revenue for 2012 was $58.6 billion, up 2.6 percent from $57.1 billion in 2011.
Health Care and Social Assistance
- Health care and social assistance revenue for 2012 was $2.1 trillion, up 4.8 percent from 2011.
Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation
- The arts, entertainment, and recreation sector had revenue of $208.7 billion for 2012, up 4.6 percent from $199.4 billion in 2011.
Other Services (except Public Administration)
- Other services (except public administration) revenue for 2012 was $417.4 billion, up 4.5 percent from $399.5 billion in 2011.
Percent changes quoted in the release are calculated using estimates rounded to millions as provided in the tables. Also, note that estimates are not adjusted for price changes.
As is the case with all surveys, statistics from sample surveys are subject to sampling and nonsampling error. All comparisons made in this release have been tested and found to be statistically significant at the 90 percent confidence level, unless otherwise noted. Please consult the tables for measures of sampling variability.
Public Information Office
Service Annual Survey
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau