PROVIDENCE, R.I., Jan. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 40 nonprofit groups in Rhode Island received more than $438,000 from the Verizon Foundation in 2009, enabling recipient organizations to improve literacy skills, enhance educational opportunities for children, and assist domestic violence survivors.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered nearly 3,800 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the state in 2009.
"Verizon and its employees are proud to partner with thousands of nonprofit organizations throughout Rhode Island to bring about positive change in the areas of education, domestic violence prevention and Internet safety," said Verizon Region President Donna Cupelo.
Among the grants awarded by Verizon in 2009 are:
- Dorcas Place -- $10,000 to enhance its Family Literacy Program providing intensive English-as-a-second-language education for limited English proficient families statewide.
- i-Safe America -- $25,000 to provide Internet safety workshops for students, parents, teachers and law enforcement officials that help students to remain safe online
- Think Ahead with Thinkfinity Awards was granted a total of $55,000. The Rhode Island Network for Educational Technology and the Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education received $25,000. The two organizations are designated as the Verizon Foundation's Thinkfinity state education partner. In addition, five public schools and districts were selected to receive a total of $25,000 in grants ($5,000 per organization) to use Thinkfinity.org to improve student achievement: Ashton School, Cumberland; Frances Varieur Elementary School, Pawtucket; Narragansett public schools; Ponaganset Middle School, Glocester; and Warwick public schools.
- Providence College -- $30,000 to help high school seniors that are academically qualified to attend college but who may not be able to continue their education after high school. They are provided the college-level experience, additional academic skills training and exposure to the admissions process.
- Women's Fund -- $22,000 to facilitate a Domestic Violence Technology Solutions/Social Change Request for Proposals for community organizations across Rhode Island to apply for funding to address the deeply rooted issues that contribute to the victimization of women through domestic violence.
- Women and Infants Hospital -- a $15,000 Health Care and Accessibility Grant to institute a wireless bar code drug administration program. The goal of the program is to improve patient safety through new technology that verifies medication administration.
The Verizon Foundation, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2009, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $67.5 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26.1 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 5 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 91 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of approximately 222,900 and last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $107 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.