ROSEMONT, Ill., Feb. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Riddell Sports, the official helmet of the National Football League®, announced today that it has renewed its partnership with USA Football, the sport's national governing body in the United States.
As USA Football's official football helmet and protective equipment partner, Riddell will continue its role of fulfilling USA Football's annual $1 million equipment grant program to youth and high school football programs, help facilitate USA Football's skill development events for coaches and players and assist in generating awareness for the most important issues affecting athletes on the field.
USA Football and Riddell established their partnership in 2009, marking Riddell's first relationship with a sport's national governing body and its most significant foray into youth football, a community composed of approximately 3 million players and 120,000 teams. The renewed partnership will continue through 2016.
"During the past three years, USA Football and Riddell have worked together to foster the sport's growth, inspire participation and ensure positive experiences for all youth and amateur athletes," said Dan Arment, president of Riddell Sports. "Our renewed partnership with USA Football will focus on promoting the game and will bring attention to how players can best protect themselves while playing. We believe a combination of strategies – ranging from educational programs to rule changes to updated coaching techniques, along with the most innovative equipment – is what it takes to best protect those who play the game."
Indianapolis-based USA Football is the official youth football development partner of the NFL, the NFL Players Association and each of the league's 32 teams and is the only organization to earn this responsibility in the league's 92-year history. It conducts more than 80 annual football training events across the U.S., offering education for coaches and game officials, skill development for players, and resources for youth football league commissioners. USA Football members reside in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
"We are proud to continue our partnership with Riddell, the industry leader in player protection," said Scott Hallenbeck, executive director of USA Football. "Our relationship will continue to be instrumental in helping America's football community play smarter and safer as well as provide the most innovative equipment available to players."
Riddell, whose leading protective equipment is worn by players at every level of the game, continues to partner with USA Football to develop and implement a variety of important initiatives, including:
- U.S. National Teams: Riddell will outfit U.S. national teams in football for international competitions to ensure that America's athletes wear the most advanced protective equipment available. U.S. national teams are assembled and managed by USA Football, America's delegate to the International Federation of American Football (IFAF), comprised of more than 60 countries spanning six continents.
- Performance and Protection Tour: Riddell and USA Football will visit several key football markets in 2012 to teach youth football players, parents, coaches and league commissioners about proper helmet fitting and tackling techniques.
- USA Football Coaching Schools: Conducted by USA Football in partnership with many NFL teams, these single-day coaching clinics are facilitated by Riddell in offering proper equipment fitting instruction to help ensure a positive football experience for America's 3 million youth tackle football players. Participants also receive player health and concussion education materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- USA Football State Leadership Forums: Conducted by USA Football in partnership with many NFL teams, these meetings of youth football league commissioners throughout a state or region discuss best practices from Riddell in the areas of equipment fitting instruction. Participants also receive player health and concussion education materials from the CDC.
- USA Football Equipment Grant Program: USA Football fulfills $1 million in football equipment grants annually for youth and high school football programs based on merit and need. Riddell's industry leading products account for all protective equipment awarded to grantees.
Founded in 1929, Riddell is a premier designer and developer of protective sports equipment and a recognized leader in helmet technology and innovation. One of Easton-Bell Sports, Inc.'s most well-known brands and the Official Helmet of the NFL®, Riddell is the leading manufacturer of football helmets, shoulder pads and reconditioning services (cleaning, repairing, repainting and recertifying existing equipment).
About USA Football
USA Football, the sport's national governing body in the United States, hosts more than 80 football skill development events annually for coaches, players and youth football league commissioners. USA Football partners with the NFL, collegiate football conferences, and the National Federation of State High School Associations to advance the sport on grassroots levels. Indianapolis-based USA Football manages U.S. national teams for international competition and was endowed by the NFL and NFLPA in 2002 through the NFL Youth Football Fund. Former NFL team executive Carl Peterson is USA Football's chairman.