BOSTON, March 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The recent decision to move ahead with the expansion of Internet addresses will release a myriad of choices for businesses and consumers. The non-profit called ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is set to announce on June 20 the implementation of a significant expansion of Internet addresses, by allowing hundreds of new extensions such as .SPORT, .MUSIC, .RADIO, .SHOP, .TOYKO, .LONDON, .CANON and .IBM.
The dot-com extension is the best-known Internet extension, representing nearly half of the 200 million total addresses. However, there are great alternatives to dot-com that are available now.
For instance, did you know you could claim addresses now ending with .BIZ, .INFO and .PRO? How about .JOBS, .CO and .TEL? All of these are available today at http://www.encirca.com
Former President John F. Kennedy is credited with first saying "A rising tide floats all the boats." So it will be with the Internet that businesses and consumers will soon be aware that they have many other choices and options in domain extensions.
While the brand new extensions may take some time to become available, one of the existing alternatives may be a good fit for you. Consider one of the following:
- .CO. The .CO extension received a boat-load of publicity during the 2011 Super Bowl. The short but intuitive extension for "company" is showing unprecedented growth in 2011.
- .JOBS. Employers looking to add new employees should seriously consider using a .JOBS domain to advertise their job openings. The annual cost is far less that traditional online job boards. Note: The operator for .JOBS is currently negotiating with ICANN the details of a new registry service that promises additional benefits such as distributing job openings for employers.
- .TEL and .MOBI. Both of these extensions enable streamlined websites suitable for both mobile devices and personal computers. For examples, see EnCirca.TEL and EnCirca.MOBI.
- .PRO. The Internet address for licensed professionals, such as lawyers, accountants, real estate and finance advisors, home contractors, etc. See EnCirca.PRO.
- .NAME and .ME. Internet addresses for individuals. Establish your permanent personal identity on the Internet.
- .TRAVEL. The Internet address for the travel and tourism industry. Think Utah.TRAVEL and Poland.TRAVEL.
- .COOP. The Internet address for cooperative organizations such as credit unions, residential associations and community-owned utilities
- .AERO. The Internet address for the aviation industry, including pilots, airlines and airports.
- .XXX. The new extension for adult content. Available later in 2011.
To check if your company, trademark or brand is still available in these extensions, you can visit http://www.encirca.com
EnCirca was formed in 2001 in Boston, Massachusetts and is an ICANN-Accredited domain name registrar that specializes in the creation and protection of brands and trademarks. It is an authorized reseller for the domain extensions mentioned in this article. For more information, visit http://www.encirca.com
Kate Kalmakis Moran