LONDON, Jan. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Website domain name registration company, Safenames, is now equipped with enhanced security protection against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. Level 3 Communications' (NYSE : LVLT ) DDoS Mitigation Solution reroutes Safenames' traffic through its scrubbing infrastructures and enables near real-time protection – all at the push of a button.
Safenames deployed Level 3's DDoS Mitigation with a flow-based monitoring service, which provides around-the-clock support from a team of security experts working in Level 3's globally distributed Security Operations Centres (SOC). Level 3's DDoS Mitigation service protects Safenames' customer IP spaces from a variety of attack vectors, as well as secures Safenames' own infrastructure.
Level 3 has been Safenames' primary network provider for the past three years, after the company chose the carrier for its robust network and global scale. The announcement comes after Level 3 placed a Point of Presence (PoP) in Safenames' recently acquired data centre in the Midlands.
Key DDoS Facts:
- In September 2016, Level 3 enhanced its DDoS mitigation solution by globally deploying its Border Gateway Protocol Flowspec, a technical capability that provides an additional layer for rapid threat mitigation across the Level 3 backbone, shutting down volumetric attacks and providing a more secure network for its customers.
- Every day, Level 3's security team mitigates approximately 100 DDoS attacks.
- Level 3 SOC experts are available to provide additional context, and if needed, to mitigate threats or escalating DDoS attacks.
- More than 30 percent of DDoS attacks are 10 Gbps or more, according to Level 3 Threat Research Labs. This size of attack renders services of a typical enterprise unavailable on the internet.
- Recent IoT-compromising malware research by Level 3 Threat Research Labs reveals many connected devices are being compromised and enabling attacks reaching in excess of 600 Gbps. This uptick in size signifies a need for increased mitigation capacity.
- Level 3's DDoS ingest capacity is approximately 4.5 terabits per second.
- Level 3 now has 11 scrubbing centers on four continents. Locations include São Paulo, Frankfurt, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C.
- DDoS attacks can have a significant financial impact on companies that derive revenue from providing services to their customers on the internet.
- According to recent research conducted with IDG Connect, loss of reputation and customer confidence are the biggest data security concerns for companies in Western Europe.
Andrew Edison, SVP of Sales, EMEA, Level 3
"Data and networks are the arteries of virtually every company. We are committed to providing a portfolio of services that allow our customers to grow their companies efficiently and securely in the face of an ever-growing threat landscape. Level 3's DDoS mitigation services provide a critical safeguard against attacks, helping to ease fears. With our expansive view of the threat landscape, we research, detect and mitigate many threats before it reaches the customer."
Gavin Mills, Sales Director, Safenames
"We have many high-profile clients who require top-level protection from the growing threat of cyberattacks. Having the assurances of Level 3's network-based security will allow us to offer our customers greater peace of mind. Being on-net with a global infrastructure provider like Level 3 gives us the perfect opportunity to expand our business globally."
- Watch the video to learn more about The Role of the Network in Cybersecurity
- Watch the video. See how Level 3 approaches Network-based Security
- Learn more about Level 3 DDoS Mitigation Service
About Level 3 Communications
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE : LVLT ) is a Fortune 500 company that provides local, national and global communications services to enterprise, government and carrier customers. Level 3's comprehensive portfolio of secure, managed solutions includes fiber and infrastructure solutions; IP-based voice and data communications; wide-area Ethernet services; video and content distribution; data center and cloud-based solutions. Level 3 serves customers in more than 500 markets in over 60 countries across a global services platform anchored by owned fiber networks on three continents and connected by extensive undersea facilities. For more information, please visit www.level3.com or get to know us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
© Level 3 Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Level 3, Vyvx, Level 3 Communications, Level (3) and the Level 3 Logo are either registered service marks or service marks of Level 3 Communications, LLC and/or one of its Affiliates in the United States and elsewhere. Any other service names, product names, company names or logos included herein are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Level 3 services are provided by subsidiaries of Level 3 Communications, Inc.
Some statements made in this press release are forward-looking in nature and are based on management's current expectations or beliefs. These forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside Level 3's control, which could cause actual events to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the statements. Important factors that could prevent Level 3 from achieving its stated goals include, but are not limited to, the company's ability to: increase revenue from its services to realize its targets for financial and operating performance; develop and maintain effective business support systems; manage system and network failures or disruptions; avert the breach of its network and computer system security measures; develop new services that meet customer demands and generate acceptable margins; manage the future expansion or adaptation of its network to remain competitive; defend intellectual property and proprietary rights; manage risks associated with continued uncertainty in the global economy; manage continued or accelerated decreases in market pricing for communications services; obtain capacity for its network from other providers and interconnect its network with other networks on favorable terms; successfully integrate future acquisitions; effectively manage political, legal, regulatory, foreign currency and other risks it is exposed to due to its substantial international operations; mitigate its exposure to contingent liabilities; and meet all of the terms and conditions of its debt obligations. Additional information concerning these and other important factors can be found within Level 3's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Statements in this press release should be evaluated in light of these important factors. Level 3 is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any such obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
SOURCE Level 3 Communications, Inc.