SAN FRANCISCO, July 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, today announced general availability of Salesforce1 Lightning Components and App Builder, allowing anyone to visually assemble apps with drag-and-drop ease using pre-built, reusable components. Salesforce also announced AppExchange for Components, expanding the world's leading marketplace for enterprise apps to include components developed by Salesforce and its partner ecosystem. AppExchange for Components is launching with the fifty components that have been most requested by customers. Salesforce customers like CROSSMARK, Ocado, and The Financial Times are using the new Salesforce1 Lightning tools to build apps for every part of their business.
Comments on the News
- "Salesforce1, the #1 PaaS, is transforming app development for the enterprise," said Tod Nielsen, executive vice president, Salesforce1 Platform. "We're creating the tools and ecosystem that IT needs to build user-centric apps so that companies can innovate faster and succeed."
- "At CROSSMARK, we are creating a new generation of app builders with Salesforce Lightning," said Mike Anderson, chief information officer, CROSSMARK. "Components, from both Salesforce and its partners, will be critical to our app development strategy moving forward."
- "Components represent the future of enterprise app development," said Hideya Sato, chief executive officer, TerraSky, a Salesforce partner. "AppExchange for Components is a great channel for us to engage with Salesforce customers and enable their innovation."
- "As the build-your-own-app (BYA) trend gains momentum, leadership will center on speed of app assembly and ease of use," said Maureen Fleming, program vice president of BPM and Middleware Research, IDC. "Key to this is a comprehensive library of components and reusable services that make it easy to build what you need right out of the box."
Overcoming The "App Gap": Leveraging Components to Build Engaging Apps Fast
Businesses want the connectivity, immediacy and ease of use that consumers experience using apps on their phones every day. But delivering compelling business apps has become a bottleneck for enterprises. Gartner reports that "through 2017, the market demand for mobile app development services will grow at least five times faster than internal IT organization capacity to deliver them."
Today, Salesforce is unleashing innovation in IT departments by delivering component-based app development, a faster way to develop engaging apps. While traditional app development requires developers to write code and create features from scratch, component-based app development lets business users, not just developers, compose and build apps by dragging and dropping components, like snapping together LEGO blocks. Components democratize app development, allowing anyone to create enterprise apps faster.
Salesforce is accelerating the shift to component-based app development for the enterprise with the delivery of Salesforce1 Lightning Components, Lightning AppBuilder and AppExchange for Components.
- Lightning App Builder: Businesses no longer have to build apps from scratch. Using Lightning App Builder, anyone, not just developers, can draw from an extensive library of reusable, well-defined components to compose apps in a drag-and-drop visual interface. Salesforce components are pre-installed in the App Builder, and partner components can be integrated directly from the AppExchange for Components.
- AppExchange for Components: An entirely new category on the AppExchange, AppExchange for Components makes it easy for developers, partners, and customers to find and use components in order to accelerate the building of apps. Components are put through the same rigorous reviews as apps listed on the AppExchange, ensuring they can be trusted. And for developers who create components, they can list them on the AppExchange either for free or monetize them.
Leading Global Companies Build Apps Faster with the Salesforce1 Platform, the World's #1 PaaS
With the Salesforce1 Platform, the world's #1 PaaS, companies can transform IT departments into centers of innovation and leapfrog the competition. With more than four million apps and two million developers, the Salesforce1 Platform is the trusted and proven platform for innovative companies around the world. Companies like CROSSMARK, Ocado, and The Financial Times are building apps faster on Salesforce1 Lightning to help every user move at the speed of business. The more than 4,100 customers who participated in a recent study conducted by a third party on behalf of Salesforce reported 52 percent faster application deployment, 50 percent faster new application design, 52 percent faster application configuration and 42 percent decrease in IT cost using the Salesforce1 Platform.
Pricing and Availability
- Salesforce1 Lightning Components and App Builder are generally available with the current release of Salesforce and are included in all CRM and Force.com admin licenses.
- The AppExchange for Components is live and available for everyone to access. Partner components on the AppExchange are priced individually on a per user or per Salesforce instance basis.
Learn more about the Salesforce1 Platform: http://www.salesforce.com/platform
Connect with Salesforce
Like Salesforce on Facebook: facebook.com/salesforce
Follow @Salesforce on Twitter
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM company, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. For more information about Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), visit: http://www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase Salesforce applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visit http://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
© 2015 salesforce.com, inc. All rights reserved. Salesforce, Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, AppExchange, Salesforce Platform, and others are trademarks of salesforce.com, inc. Other brands featured herein may be trademarks of their respective owners
 Gartner, "The Enterprise App Explosion: Scaling One to 100 Mobile Apps" Published: 7 May 2015