RACINE, Wis., Sept. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- SC Johnson applauds the passage of the Cleaning Product Right to Know Act of 2017 (SB 258) by the California Assembly today. This legislation, authored by state Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens), will create an industry-wide ingredient communication program for manufacturers of consumer and institutional air care, automotive, general cleaning, polish and floor maintenance products.
"Because of this legislation, consumers will have the opportunity to make more informed choices for their families, regardless of the product or the company who makes it," said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. "At SC Johnson, we have been sharing the ingredients in our products with consumers for nearly 10 years. Now that the entire industry will be sharing this information, we'll continue to champion the need for greater ingredient transparency and remain committed to going further."
This groundbreaking legislation will enhance ingredient transparency for consumers by requiring full ingredient disclosure on product labels with enhanced disclosure on manufacturer websites. Additionally, for the first time in the United States, manufacturers will disclose the presence of potential fragrance allergens within their products. Once signed into law, product labels will need to be updated by Jan. 1, 2021 and manufacturer websites by Jan. 1, 2020.
SC Johnson supported the development and legislative approval of the bill, and partnered with nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), industry groups, and local legislators to advance the disclosure legislation. As a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, the support of this legislation adds to the company's decades-long commitment to doing what's right for families and earning their trust, especially when it comes to chemical safety and transparency.
SC Johnson's History of Product-Transparency Disclosure
Since 2009, SC Johnson has led the industry in expanding ingredient transparency, including these important milestones:
- 2009: Launched U.S. ingredient disclosure program, including specific listings of preservatives and naming dyes by trade names followed soon after by Canada
- 2012: Published Exclusive Fragrance Palette, the complete list of approved fragrance ingredients for SC Johnson products
- 2014: Published list of ingredient restrictions, most of which meet legal and regulatory requirements, but not company standards; further increasing transparency on how SC Johnson makes ingredient choices
- 2015: Began rolling out product-specific fragrance disclosure, sharing more than 99.9 percent of ingredients in most product formulas
- 2016: Launched European ingredient transparency program, including more than 99.9 percent of the ingredients in most product formulas at WhatsInsideSCJohnson.com
- 2016: Launched Glade® Fresh Citrus Blossoms collection with 100 percent fragrance transparency
- 2017: Disclosed the presence of 368 potential fragrance and non-fragrance skin allergens in its products; this disclosure goes beyond regulations in the European Union and U.S. where there are no rules requiring allergen transparency
The company's WhatsInsideSCJohnson.com website provides easy-to-understand lists of ingredients for SC Johnson products in more than 20 languages. To learn more about the SC Johnson Greenlist™ ingredient selection program and other examples of the company's responsibility and leadership, download the SC Johnson 2016 Sustainability Report.
To learn more about the Cleaning Product Right to Know Act (SB 258) visit: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB258
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care, as well as professional products. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 131-year-old company, which generates $10 billion in sales, employs approximately 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sc-johnson-applauds-californias-passing-of-cleaning-product-right-to-know-act-300518439.html
SOURCE SC Johnson