CHICAGO, Jan. 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Back by popular demand, North Park University will open its state-of-the-art science facilities to high schoolers who enroll in our Summer Science Academy, June 17-July 11. Now in its fourth year, the Summer Science Academy will offer credit-bearing, university-quality instruction in a supportive, enriching environment.
Some Specifics about Summer Science Academy:
- June 17-July 11 one- and two-weeklong courses meet either in the morning or afternoon
- Course fee $180 per week per course
- 2-week courses earn North Park credit
- 10% early-bird discount registration March 31st
- Priority registration and scholarship application April 30
- Final registration May 15
- To register, please visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/summer-science-academy-2019-registration-54722682015
"All the experiments were very interesting. I had a lot of fun, along with learning a lot," said one 2018 student participant.
"These courses are a great opportunity for students to experience science as closely as it could be at a college level but with the added guidance appropriate for high schoolers," said Dr. Yoojin Choi, the program's director.
New to Summer Science 2019 is Forensic Chemistry, a perfect opportunity to experience North Park's Chemistry Instrumentation Laboratory. Students learn the chemistry behind techniques utilized in examining physical evidence from crime scenes. Like all Summer Science courses, Forensic Chemistry will use hands-on, experiential learning.
Students can choose from the following courses:
- Human Anatomy Boot Camp: Department of Biology
- Fins, Fur, and Feathers: Department of Biology (2 weeks)
- Genomes from the Chicago River: Department of Biology (2 weeks)
- Forensic Chemistry: Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Body Dynamics and Comfort: Division of Health Sciences
North Park started the program so high schoolers could have access to high-quality, engaging science courses, according to Choi. The idea, she said, is to foster in young people a curiosity about science, which eventually leads to their involvement in science-related careers.
ABOUT NORTH PARK UNIVERSITY
North Park University is a city-centered, intercultural, Christian university located in Chicago.
SOURCE North Park University