CINCINNATI, Jan. 23, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- At Frank West Elementary in Bakersfield, California, students in grades pre-K through second grade enjoyed a big surprise on this National Reading Day. In celebration of the occasion, students appreciated story time with journalists from KERO, the Scripps ABC affiliate in Bakersfield, they met Clifford the Big Red Dog, and received a free book to begin creating their own home library.
It's also an important day for Scripps Howard Foundation as it is the culmination of months of work to coordinate, launch and execute a literacy campaign with employees of The E.W. Scripps Company. Employees at each of the company's television and radio stations around the country pledged money to buy books for children in need. Each station chose a local nonprofit working with children and families to distribute the books.
The "If You Give a Child a Book…" campaign raised donations from employees and matching dollars from members of the Scripps family and a friend of the Foundation for a grand total of nearly $143,000. Every dollar will go directly for the purchase of books for children in need. The employees are sending the message to thousands of children experiencing poverty that reading can empower them to dream big and achieve their full potential.
"We are overwhelmed by the generosity we have witnessed with this campaign," said Liz Carter, president and CEO of Scripps Howard Foundation. "Now thousands of books will go out from our employees across the country and into the hands of children. This campaign is helping to make the Scripps vision of creating a better informed world accessible to even the most disadvantaged children in our communities."
- In Bakersfield, 23ABC journalists will read to students at several area schools, and the station will donate books to Kern Literacy Council to improve the local literacy level.
- In Indianapolis, WRTV6 is continuing its support of School on Wheels. The organization is powered by volunteers who tutor children experiencing homelessness.
- In Tampa, WFTS ABC Action News is partnering with the Junior League of Tampa to give books to children at local schools in need.
- In Phoenix, KNXV ABC15 is continuing its commitment to Arizona's 19,000 children in foster care by partnering with Arizona's Children Association to give books to children entering foster care.
- In Tucson, Arizona, the Scripps TV and radio stations are teaming up with Literacy Connects to provide books for people of all ages.
- In Baltimore, WMAR-ABC2News is working with the Maryland Book Bank, which sends out a mobile library for children to select up to five books to keep.
- In Springfield, Missouri, Scripps radio stations are supporting Ozarks Literacy Council and on-air talent will read to children and deliver 250 books.
"At Scholastic, we know providing children with access to books helps open a world of greater opportunities for them," said Alan Boyko, president of Scholastic Book Fairs. "By working with organizations like Scripps Howard Foundation, we are able to ensure more children experience the power and joy of reading, not just today but every day."
Also today, Scripps Howard Foundation is awarding literacy grants worth $10,000 each to five partner organizations in Scripps markets selected through a competitive application process. These grants were made possible by another generous gift from a member of the Scripps family.
About the Foundation
Dedicated to excellence in journalism, the Scripps Howard Foundation educates, empowers and honors extraordinary journalists who illuminate community issues, and partners with impactful organizations to drive change and improve lives. As the philanthropic arm of The E.W. Scripps Company, the Foundation is a leader in industry efforts in journalism education, scholarships, internships, minority recruitment and development, literacy and First Amendment causes. With a special commitment to the regions where Scripps does business, the Foundation helps build thriving communities.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/scripps-howard-foundation-teams-up-with-scholastic-book-fairs-to-deliver-more-than-40000-books-300394927.html
SOURCE The E.W. Scripps Company